Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have been giving my 5 lb yorkie EFA1N or A1/N and I believe

I have been giving my 5 lb yorkie EFA1N or A1/N and I believe I may have given him too much. He has been vomiting and is lethargic. Will I be ok to wait until the morning to take him to the vet or should I be concerned? He has been drinking water. Animal poison control told me it wasn't toxic.

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dogdoc4u :

How long has Rocco been vomiting?

Customer:

Yesterday twice with normal energy level. Today 4-5 times with lethargy this evening.

Dogdoc4u :

What is he vomiting? How long since the last time?

Customer:

last vomited an hour and half ago. the vomit is clear resembling saliva. I just gave him some gatorade mixed with water via syringe.

Dogdoc4u :

If he continues to vomit please do not give him anything else orally. It can cause further vomiting so leaving the stomach empty for 12 hours (including water) is sometimes necessary and injectable medications required to stop the cycle

Dogdoc4u :

How long since he has held down a meal?

Customer:

he ate last night and threw up this morning after eating more food. hasn't eaten since this morning. I plan to take him to my vet in the morning. I just wanted suggestions for monitoring him until then.

Dogdoc4u :

I am trying to assess how long since he has had any food to determine the best thing for him tonight.

Do you have any karo syrup at home?

Dogdoc4u :

I take vomiting and lethargy much more seriously in a little dog like Rocco then, let's say, a Labrador because their sugar can drop so much quicker

Customer:

no. i would say it's been 24 hrs since he ate without vomiting. He has been drinking water on his own before I gave him the mix with gatorade.

Dogdoc4u :

But he has been vomiting it back up...

Customer:

yes. also this morning when he vomited after eating it was brown in color. since then and yesterday it was clear. I only have grade b maple syrup here now

Dogdoc4u :

So you don't have karo syrup at home? Sorry I wasn't sure which question the no was for :)

Dogdoc4u :

Oh ok

Dogdoc4u :

Go ahead and put a little on your finger and wipe it along his gumline. This is a precaution for low glucose overnight with no food for 24 hours

Customer:

so it's ok to give him a dab of the grade b maple syrup on his gumline? Should I do anything else?

Dogdoc4u :

Unfortunately the hardest thing to do in this situation is to not do anything

Dogdoc4u :

If he is holding down the gatorade, you can try a little bit of pepcid or prilosec if you have that

Dogdoc4u :

Do you have either?

Dogdoc4u :

I mean until you can get to the vet not to do anything since anything given orally will likely result in further vomiting

Customer:

I don't but I can pick some up

Dogdoc4u :

This usually requires injections to control

Dogdoc4u :

OK, so 1/8 tablet or pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg every 12 hours

Dogdoc4u :

You can crush it and put it in the gatorade to settle the stomach after a few hours of no vomiting of the dose you just recently gave

Customer:

I understand and I plan to take him first thing when they open in the morning. So you are saying no more fluids?

Dogdoc4u :

If he holds down the gatorade you gave him it is ok to repeat hourly but no more then what you are already giving

Dogdoc4u :

Perhaps crushing the pepcid in one dose to help reduce stomach acids

Dogdoc4u :

But if he vomits again nothing else orally

Dogdoc4u :

Until you get him into the vet

Customer:

ok

Dogdoc4u :

Now, giving the syrup (if you go to the store please pick up karo, all little dog owners should have some) along the gumline is safe because he is not swallowing it

Customer:

ok

Customer:

should I do both or either or?

Dogdoc4u :

I prefer karo as do most vets

Dogdoc4u :

It is the most direct way to get sugar in a dog's blood besides iv

Customer:

ok i'll do karo and hold off on the pepcid for now

Dogdoc4u :

Sorry, I thought you mean should you do both the karo and the syrup

Dogdoc4u :

I would do the sugar now and wait a few hours to give the pepcid

Customer:

ok

Dogdoc4u :

I didn't mean to confuse you

Dogdoc4u :

But no food tonight

Dogdoc4u :

If he does have any bowel movements, please make sure you bring it with you

Dogdoc4u :

Refrigerated if not fresh

Customer:

That's ok. I'm not familiar with pepcid. How much should I give him?

Dogdoc4u :

10 mg 1/8 tablet crushed into the gatorade

Customer:

ok

Dogdoc4u :

Does this make sense? How else can I assist you this evening?

Customer:

this does make sense. u have been very helpful. thank u

Dogdoc4u :

You are very welcome

Dogdoc4u :

Can I answer any additional questions this evening?

Dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any way by the website unless you Accept). Thanks!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dogdoc4u :

Good luck, I would like to check in on you both tomorrow evening if that is ok?

Dogdoc4u :

I am going to exit the chat to assist others with questions unless there is anything else I can assist you with this evening?

Dogdoc4u :

Alright well I will monitor for any further questions and return if you do respond again...good luck to you both

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I let him go to sleep? I know that may be a silly question. Also if giving gatorade hourly should I wake him up to give it to him?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i followed her advice just needed to have my last two questions answered
Hi There,

I am Dr. Denise and I am glad to assist you.

I think it is good to let him go to sleep. He needs his rest to help heal.