Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

6 year old female chin

I have a 6 year old female chin. Today while cleaning her cage I noticed a long, stringy, mucousy, bloody clot coming out of her vagina. She appears to be eating and acting normally, I thought perhaps she was in heat, this has never happened before. She has not been bred, she is a single chin, alone in her cage. 

I apologize if this goes to a Dog Veterinary specialist. I did not select that category. 

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome

to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dogdoc4u :

This can definitely be a normal heat in some dogs as long as she is acting normal. Is her vulva enlarged as if she came into heat?

Customer:

She isn't a dog, I am so sorry if this is a waste of your time. Somehow this system logged me into dog veterinarians when my question was on a 6 year old female chinchilla.

Customer:

And, if it helps at all, yes, her vulva is enlarged.

Dogdoc4u :

Oops! OK sorry there is a breed of dog called a japanese chin

Dogdoc4u :

Give me one moment, this is definitely not my area of expertise

Customer:

Oh goodness! I had no idea. I am so, so sorry. There wasn't a category selection and somehow it logged me in as a dog owner.

Dogdoc4u :

No worries, you will have to have a little patience with me if that's ok while I refer to some sources regarding this subject :)

Customer:

No problem. I appreciate the help. I did get a little panicked when the page changed and it went form saying Veterinary Question to Dog Veterinary but then it was too late to go back.

Dogdoc4u :

This is one site quote: it does sound like she might have a urinary tract infection but let me refer to another few sites

Dogdoc4u :

Lethargy, not eating, weight loss, excessive grooming of the vaginal area, warm belly, swelling, odor or a change in personality can be a sign of uterine problems. A uterine infection can be fatal when they have an infection during a heat cycle and the vagina closes up with the infection inside of her. Make sure you keep a close up on female when she comes into her first heat and after delivery. You should check your females once a week for any signs of discharge, odor, bleeding or heat coming from that area. They need to be taken to the vet immediately to get antibiotics to get rid of the infection.

Customer:

She doesn't seem lethargic, she is eating, but there is a slight sign of weight loss. No excessive grooming. She was hopping around her cage acting completely normal. I honestly thought she must be in heat or something but nothing I found online mentioned any sort of bloody discharge and this is like a large, stringy clot almost.

Dogdoc4u :

Another source: Source of blood can be urinary (infection, stones) or reproductive system. Blood from the reproductive system is usually associated with blood passed at the end of urination or with blood clots. When the cause of blood is urinary disorders, you can notice straining or pain during urination; blood is usually mixed evenly with the urine. Animals that have blood in the urine may also be anemic.

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, it sounds like from the last source that unless she is showing signs of straining it is likely related to a heat cycle but because they can sometimes not give any indication and then be very sick I would advise getting her in and a urine evaluation done to rule out an infection

Dogdoc4u :

Every time I have done a Chinchilla exam (few of them to be honest) they urinate with any abdominal palpation so getting a sample should not be too difficult

Customer:

Okay, thank you so much. I appreciate your help!

Dogdoc4u :

You are welcome, I apologize for the error in your placement but hopefully I was a little helpful!

Customer:

You were very helpful! Thank you!!!

Dogdoc4u :

You are very welcome...it doesn't appear that your rating closed the chat. Could you rerate one more time please?

Dogdoc4u :

I am going to change formats because sometimes it is a glitch with live chat...