Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog has white puss like liquid coming out his penis. He

My dog has white puss like liquid coming out his penis. He is a rescured dog and about 11 years old. He is a yellow lab and he is eating fine and seems fine. What is it and what can I do for him. I do not have lot of money for a vet so if there is anything I can buy to help? Thank you Dianne XXXX

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Sometimes, a little discharge from the penis can be normal. It is called Smegma.

However, if it is persisting, getting worse, or the penis is also beginning to look inflamed, or Duncan is licking a lot down there, you must get into a vet. It can be an indicator of a prepucial infection. That is, an infection of the shealth that is holding the penis.

Generally, wouldn't be too costly. Exam and antibiotics. A urine test would be storngly recommended and I would encourage it, but not a must.

Hope that info helps
Please remember to select a feedback rating before you leave.
Good Luck

__________________________________________________________
Before rating – Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need more information. I would be happy to try and be of the greatest assistance possible.

Please remember to leave feedback by selecting a SMILEY FACE followed by Submit.
Bonuses are greatly welcomed if the answer is helpful. Providing a rating is the only way for an expert to receive credit from Justanswer for their time. Greatly appreciated if you select a rating BEFORE you leave.

If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to provide a rating, please let me know. If you feel the need to rate “bad” or “poor”, please stop and reply to me via REPLY TO EXPERT, so I may provide additional information or answer further questions.

After we conclude this chat, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile, so remember to select my profile link in the future or add me to your bookmarks:

REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. Any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management