CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog let out a yelp last night for no known reason. I looked

My dog let out a yelp last night for no known reason. I looked for a possible scorpion but didn't see one. But today he will not use his back left leg. Is extremely lethargic and will not eat or drink.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

Is there any area on the leg that is swollen?

A specific source of pain?

Can you take his temperature to see if he has a fever?
-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

his hip doesn't appear to be swollen. He doesn't act like it hurts other than he won't use it and keeps it drawn close to the body unless he is sleeping. His temp is 100.5. He had multiple stools yesterday and I gave him 2 doses of kaeopectate. Not sure if that could be related

Were the stools abnormal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not really. Last. Couple were unformed

weight: normal;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;text-decoration: none;">This lameness has several possible causes:

- A temporary discomfort from a strain, sprain, soft tissue, or muscle injury.

- We can also see hip pain cause these signs.

With that said, although those are possible - lameness such as this is very consistent with a Cranial Cruciate Ligament rupture / tear (analagous to the ACL in the human)

( link that may help)

Aside from the hip - another issue in this breed would be a luxating patella (knee cap) - LINK HERE

For this reason, if these signs persist, or worsen - I would consider making an appointment with your veterinarian for an evaluation. They will be able to feel the hips, knees, and do a neurological examination to look for back pain.

If present, decreased activity and several days of an anti-inflammatory pain medication will likely be discussed.

Hope that helps and answers all your questions!

Before rating - Please REPLY at any time if more information is needed and I would be glad to reply back and help!

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus is appreciated as this is the way the professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I not be concerned that he doesn't want food or water. It's only been 12 hours or so.

No - that is more likely from discomfort and why I would be more concerned about the leg.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Hi Lori,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bear. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet