Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
22143564

i have a 10yr old golden retriever who hasnt really eaten for

i have a 10yr old golden retriever who hasnt really eaten for the last three weeks. she is getting very week in the hips . she looks severly depressed and is back in heat since it eded a month ago. what do i do ? i called the vet but since we use a shot clinic to get her yearly shots they told us they where too busy to see her .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Dr. John :

Thank you for your question concerning Cheyenne. So she is not fixed correct?

Dr. John :

And she was in heat one month ago?

Customer:

she's not fixed. thats not whats bothering us though, she hasn't been eating and is very very week in the hind end. she collapses going up stairs and can hardly get up

Dr. John :

Okay understood, but there is a very good chance that is wrong with her

Dr. John :

Are you familiar with the term pyometra?

Customer:

im not but my daughters vet said she's too old to spay her now. that shewould b at high risk

Dr. John :

Arthritis doesn't cause a sudden inability to walk and sudden weakness. It is rather a very gradual process, so my concern is there is a more pressing medical issue underlying

Dr. John :

A pyometra is an infection of the uterus and is fairly common in older intact female dogs

Dr. John :

It is a serious life threatening medical situation, if that is what is going on here. With her going into heat a month ago, it is highly suspicious

Dr. John :

An ultrasound or radiographs can be taken of her abdomen to confirm or deny

Dr. John :

Treatment is aggressive IV fluids, antibiotics, and surgical removal of the uterus. Prognosis without surgery is very poor.

Dr. John :

Does she have vaginal discharge right now?

Customer:

i started to think she has an infection today because insted of bleeding now, she is showing a mucussy discharge, hope i spelled that right. but she does bleed heavy when in heat. and she has a bad oder

Dr. John :

We typically will see a pyometra develop within a few weeks to months of a heat cycle...

Dr. John :

Yes a bad odor is not normal, so it does sound like a pyometra and infection

Dr. John :

This is life threatening, it is usually caused by the bacteria e. coli and e. coli can release a bunch of toxins into the body and cause low blood pressure and toxicity to the entire body including all organs (especially kidneys)

Customer:

i will find another vet to see her asap. i dont like seeing her in pain. what can i do till i get her in

Dr. John :

Is she drinking water?

Customer:

she does act like she is totally drained. this is not her at all. yes she does drink regularlly and chews ice cubes alot

Dr. John :

If you cannot find a daytime clinic to take her in immediately (make sure you tell them you think this could be pyometra) then I suggest you get her to the nearest emergency clinic right away. She needs IV fluids and IV antibiotics and possibly a drug to increase blood pressure such as hetastarch, none of which you can do from home unfortunately, so I suggest you make your main focus getting her in somewhere right away for the best chance she can recover from this

Dr. John :

The infection will make her dehydrated. So between that and the infection being taxing on her body, she will be VERY weak. If she has low blood pressure, that will even further worsen the situation

Customer:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. THIS IS MORE HELP THAN I GOT FROM ANYONE ELSE. I WILL GET HER TO ONE ASAP.

Experience: significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nadine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cheyenne. How is everything going?

Dr. John