Dog Health Questions? Ask a Dog Vet for Answers ASAP
HI, I'm Dr Steve. I am unable to get the background coul dyou give me the condition that is being treated and how long she has been on simplicef?
I will check shortly to see your reply
SMS Text Alerts
Asked by you on Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:57 PM CST
2 Answered Questions
Optional Information: Name of Dog: Sugie What have you tried so far?: I've just been watching her.
Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:00 PM CST
Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:01 PM CST
Coughing maybe 4 times today. Not panting but breathing fast.
She's 12 and the doctor said he would do x-ray if she didn't improve after taking antibiotics.
Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:06 PM CST
She has a good appetite and is drinking normally.
Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:17 PM CST
Her doctor says he will xray her but I suppose he is waiting for the inflammation to go away. She's still coughing after taking 2 of the temeril tablets today. Her tongue is pink and she seems okay i.e. good appetite and drinking normally w/o vomiting, but she seems to be breathing fast.
I apologize, but I see Dr Matt has helped you earlier. I am going to opt out so he can continue with him. Good Luck
You are welcome I wilsend a message to Dr Matt to look for your question.
Is Dr. Matt available now? If not, please refer me to another doctor.
Is anyone here?
Is it okay for her to take Temaril and Simplicef?
Optional Information: Pet's Gender: FemalePet's Age: >12
HI again. I see Dr Matt is offline. How is she doing now? is thebreathign any better?
Yes. better, thanks. I wanted to know if the two drugs are okay to be used together.
Also, why does it say $24 in the corner of the page? I am supposed to have a subscription. Sorry but this is all very confusing. Is there a number I can call for help?
I have had clients use temeril P and Simplicef together. As Dr Matt has mentioned, it may be a heart murmur or other condition. THe simplicef is addressing the bacterial infection possibility and the temeril P is addressing the inflammation issue that often occurs with lung disease. I think she needs to beseen , but if she is calming down tonight she may be ok tomorrow.
Please don't leave!
If her breathing becomes more labored or rapid, then she may need to be seen at that time. MOre diagnostics need to be done like listening for a heart murmur with a stethoscope , possibly an x-ray or echocardiogram to help determine the cause of her problem. The $24.00 is what the "value" of the question. If you have a subscription you should only be charged what the subscription was for. On the sign page there is a contact us buttonthat should have a phone number or at lease an email option. Just answer moderators are very good at following up with questions like yours about the $24.00.
They may not be open this late but they should call you back or reply tomorrow. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so i may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. IF you have more questions, please continue
Thanks. My vet says he will do the x-ray or echocardiogram but doesn't seem to be in a hurry to do it. Do you think it's because he's waiting for the inflammation to clear up?
I am ready to get started with long-term treatment for the heart murmur (which he said he suspected) but don't understand why he hasn't done the x-ray and echocardiogram yet.
I suppose my real question is this: Should I insist that he do the tests immediately?
Yes that is very likely. INflammation can make it harder to interpret or see changes on the x-ray and the ultrasound . THe thing you should discuss with him is the problem of rapid breathing. Have him listen for a murmur and if he hears one or hear fluid on the lungs, he couul give lasix pills to reduce the amount of fluid to help her breathe easier. There are also bronchdilators called Theophylline that helps dilate the bronchi to allow the breathing to be easier .
MY thought would be that if he can hear fluid or if he can hear the heart murmur, then he should feel comfortable treating with the lasix and giving a few days to see if it helps and then doing the tests. If after the medicine is started and if she isn't better then you could ask him to run the tests. THe worse thing that could happen is that if the tests are inconclusive due to fluid and inflammation ,. yu may have to have them repeated. Another concern of his is that if he has to sedate her to do the tests, he may want the breathing to be better to make the sedation less risky. Ask him about this issue
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Will I be able to read this exchange after the window is closed? Will it be shown under "My Questions"?
YEs it will be available under "my questions" and accessible for several weeks if you have more questions.
you are welcome. Have anice night
Thanks. You as well.
I'm so sorry to tell you but our dear little dog died a few hours after our last conversation. After talking to you, we took her to an emergency pet hospital and the doctor there put her under oxygen and started Lasix and other medicines, but was unable to save her. He said that she had a collapsing trachea as well as heart failure. I wish I would have insisted that her regular vet treat her more agressively, but we know it does no good to dwell on "what-ifs." Thanks for your good advice and for caring about her condition. Sugie was our first dog and we are broken-hearted but we are grateful for the joy she brought into our lives.
Thank you. I am going to cancel my subscription because I was interested in veterinary questions only and no long need the service. Please don't take it as a reaction to your or Dr. Matt's advice. Many thanks, Kathleen