Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience

My dog has just started taking temeril and is already taking

Customer Question

My dog has just started taking temeril and is already taking Simplicef for the same condition. If you have a record of my questions you can read the background on her illness. If not, let me know and I can give you the background.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Steve O. replied 1 year ago.

Steve O. :

HI, I'm Dr Steve. I am unable to get the background coul dyou give me the condition that is being treated and how long she has been on simplicef?

Steve O. :

I will check shortly to see your reply

Customer:

Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Veterinary Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My 6.75 pound Chihuahua is breathing about 54 times per minute.

Status:Finished
Category:Dog Veterinary
Value:$18

Asked by you on Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:57 PM CST

My 6.75 pound Chihuahua is breathing about 54 times per minute. She's being treated for phlegm in throat, but as of Friday no phlegm in lungs. She's taking Simplicef and took a Comfortis two days ago. She had a Depo Medrol injection and a Bayrtil injection two days ago. Should I be alarmed?

Optional Information: Name of Dog: Sugie What have you tried so far?: I've just been watching her.

Picture

Your Expert needs more information

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:00 PM CST

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.
Is Sugie coughing?
Is she panting or having trouble breathing?
How old is she?
Did she have an x-ray taken?

You replied

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:01 PM CST

Coughing maybe 4 times today. Not panting but breathing fast.

She's 12 and the doctor said he would do x-ray if she didn't improve after taking antibiotics.

You replied

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:06 PM CST

She has a good appetite and is drinking normally.

Picture

You have received an Answer!

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:17 PM CST

Thanks for the additional information.
I am very sorry to hear that she is breathing so quickly today. Based on what you are describing, I would be concerned that she may not have a respiratory infection or a throat congestion but possibly something wrong with her heart. The treatments that your vet gave her are very good for infections and allergic diseases and since she seems to be getting worse a heart disease would be more likely. I am glad that you are counting her respirations as this is a very good indication on how Sugie is doing. Any dog that has a respiratory rate over 30 breaths per minute when resting is having some problems breathing.
Other possible problems are a mass in her chest, pneumonia, pleural effusion which is fluid around her lungs, and heart worm disease.
At this time I do think that she needs an x-ray. The most common type of heart disease would be a leaky valve or valvular disease. Congestive heart failure is a possible reason why she is breathing faster today. The best way to treat a dog with congestive heart failure would be to give them a medication to eliminate some of the extra fluid in the body.
Since Sugie is breathing much faster tonight I would always recommend taking her to a vet tonight as this is something that usually should not be monitored overnight. If this is not possible then keep her as calm as possible tonight to make sure she does not have more breathing problems.
Overall I would really consider taking her to a vet tonight as she needs some medication to help right away.

Customer:

Her doctor says he will xray her but I suppose he is waiting for the inflammation to go away. She's still coughing after taking 2 of the temeril tablets today. Her tongue is pink and she seems okay i.e. good appetite and drinking normally w/o vomiting, but she seems to be breathing fast.

Steve O. :

I apologize, but I see Dr Matt has helped you earlier. I am going to opt out so he can continue with him. Good Luck

Customer:

Thanks.

Steve O. :

You are welcome I wilsend a message to Dr Matt to look for your question.

Customer:

Is Dr. Matt available now? If not, please refer me to another doctor.

Customer:

Is anyone here?

Customer:

Is it okay for her to take Temaril and Simplicef?

Optional Information:
Pet's Gender: Female
Pet's Age: >12

Steve O. :

HI again. I see Dr Matt is offline. How is she doing now? is thebreathign any better?

Customer:

Yes. better, thanks. I wanted to know if the two drugs are okay to be used together.

Customer:

Also, why does it say $24 in the corner of the page? I am supposed to have a subscription. Sorry but this is all very confusing. Is there a number I can call for help?

Steve O. :

I have had clients use temeril P and Simplicef together. As Dr Matt has mentioned, it may be a heart murmur or other condition. THe simplicef is addressing the bacterial infection possibility and the temeril P is addressing the inflammation issue that often occurs with lung disease. I think she needs to beseen , but if she is calming down tonight she may be ok tomorrow.

Customer:

Customer:

Please don't leave!

Steve O. :

If her breathing becomes more labored or rapid, then she may need to be seen at that time. MOre diagnostics need to be done like listening for a heart murmur with a stethoscope , possibly an x-ray or echocardiogram to help determine the cause of her problem. The $24.00 is what the "value" of the question. If you have a subscription you should only be charged what the subscription was for. On the sign page there is a contact us buttonthat should have a phone number or at lease an email option. Just answer moderators are very good at following up with questions like yours about the $24.00.

Steve O. :

They may not be open this late but they should call you back or reply tomorrow. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so i may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. IF you have more questions, please continue

Customer:

Thanks. My vet says he will do the x-ray or echocardiogram but doesn't seem to be in a hurry to do it. Do you think it's because he's waiting for the inflammation to clear up?

Customer:

I am ready to get started with long-term treatment for the heart murmur (which he said he suspected) but don't understand why he hasn't done the x-ray and echocardiogram yet.

Customer:

I suppose my real question is this: Should I insist that he do the tests immediately?

Steve O. :

Yes that is very likely. INflammation can make it harder to interpret or see changes on the x-ray and the ultrasound . THe thing you should discuss with him is the problem of rapid breathing. Have him listen for a murmur and if he hears one or hear fluid on the lungs, he couul give lasix pills to reduce the amount of fluid to help her breathe easier. There are also bronchdilators called Theophylline that helps dilate the bronchi to allow the breathing to be easier .

Steve O. :

MY thought would be that if he can hear fluid or if he can hear the heart murmur, then he should feel comfortable treating with the lasix and giving a few days to see if it helps and then doing the tests. If after the medicine is started and if she isn't better then you could ask him to run the tests. THe worse thing that could happen is that if the tests are inconclusive due to fluid and inflammation ,. yu may have to have them repeated. Another concern of his is that if he has to sedate her to do the tests, he may want the breathing to be better to make the sedation less risky. Ask him about this issue

Customer:

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Will I be able to read this exchange after the window is closed? Will it be shown under "My Questions"?

Steve O. :

YEs it will be available under "my questions" and accessible for several weeks if you have more questions.

Customer:

Thanks.

Steve O. :

you are welcome. Have anice night

Customer:

Thanks. You as well.

Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
Expert:  Steve O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Katt,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sugie. How is everything going?

Steve O.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry to tell you but our dear little dog died a few hours after our last conversation. After talking to you, we took her to an emergency pet hospital and the doctor there put her under oxygen and started Lasix and other medicines, but was unable to save her. He said that she had a collapsing trachea as well as heart failure. I wish I would have insisted that her regular vet treat her more agressively, but we know it does no good to dwell on "what-ifs." Thanks for your good advice and for caring about her condition. Sugie was our first dog and we are broken-hearted but we are grateful for the joy she brought into our lives.

Expert:  Steve O. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry that Sugie passed away. Heart failure does typically ends with the dog passing away, depending on how advanced or severe the heart failure is, will determine how long the dog will last once the symptoms are noticed. In her case, more aggressive therapy may or may not have made much difference. As you mentioned dwelling on it won't help , but I do feel bad that this had happened. I wish you the best and thanks for the update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I am going to cancel my subscription because I was interested in veterinary questions only and no long need the service. Please don't take it as a reaction to your or Dr. Matt's advice. Many thanks, Kathleen

Expert:  Steve O. replied 1 year ago.
I understand completely and wish you well