Deb Jankura
Deb Jankura, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years experience in progressive small animal practice
9480295

why does my dog have bumps on her back and legs

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Deb Jankura replied 2 years ago.

Deb Jankura :

Hi and welcome to justanswer. what kind of dog do you have?

Customer:

i can t see that well but it is a shiz suz

Deb Jankura :

how old is she and is she itchy?

Customer:

yes she is 3 years old and she is itching first it was one now it is six

Deb Jankura :

what color are these bumps and how big are they? Where are they on her body?

Customer:

kind of pinkish 4 are on her back 1 is on her right front leg and 1 is at her lower back they are not really big only one it looks like it has liquid in it smaller then a pen cap top not really big

Deb Jankura :

do you have reading glasses or a magnifying glass to look at them closely?

Customer:

yes

Deb Jankura :

I want you to look at one of the bigger lumps and see if there is a little whole on the top

Customer:

ok be right back

Deb Jankura :

no problem

Customer:

only the one on her front right leg the other ones look like little pimples

Deb Jankura :

I meant hole, sorry

Customer:

the one on her leg is the only big one i don t see a hole

Deb Jankura :

it was a long shot but sometimes if they get bitten by a certain kid of fly they can have fly larvae in bumps.

Customer:

i was wondering if something bite her but she is so small i have her house trained we usally take her out in her carrier but i was wonder if it was food or i just don t know

Deb Jankura :

Is her skin more red than usual on her belly or back? Does she scratch at her ears? What kind of food does she eat? Anything new lately to eat? Could be bug bites.

Deb Jankura :

Has it only been days since you noticed these? The groomer didn't say anything about them? any special shampoo used?

Customer:

no her skin is the same nothing new to eat she is scratching her ears but i checked them i didn t not see any redness plus she just got groomed i have mite stuff for her ears no the groomer didn t not say anything if it is bug bites is there something i can do to see if they go away it has been a week sense she was groomed she had the bumps about two weeks that why i wanted her groomed so i could see better

Deb Jankura :

sometimes itching from bug bites or allergies can be soothed by using an oatmeal shampoo or solution like Aveno. You need to leave it on her for 15 minutes to let it soak in. You can do this twice a week. How much does she weigh?

Customer:

8 pounds

Deb Jankura :

hang on a minute I want to check something

Customer:

ok

Deb Jankura :

Sometimes an antihistamine can help itching. are you familiar with chlorpheniramine?

Customer:

no never heard of it can i get it over the counter at pet store

Deb Jankura :

you can get it in a regular drug store. It comes generic and is not expensive. Her dose would be 2mg every 12 hours. It can make her drowsy so don't let her operate heavy machinery.

Deb Jankura :

I would highly recommend consulting with the pharmacist. Most tablets are 4 mg. So her dose would be 1/2 tab. I think it may also come i a liquid form for kids. Just tell the pharmacist the name of the drug and the mg-2. This will make sure you get the right drug and dose

Customer:

ok thank you i will do the oatmeal bath and get the chlorpheniramine and give her 2mg every 12 hours thank you if nothing changes then i will take to vet thank you i won t let her drive just i am recently unemployed i wanted to see if i could do something first i will talk to the pharmacist thank you very much

Deb Jankura :

if you have any more questions you can follow up with me here, I would be happy to chat more later if things change, Best of Luck Dr. Deb

Customer:

Thank You have a goodnight i will let you know what happens Dr Deb

Deb Jankura :

that would be great thanks, XXXXX XXXXX going to convert this to a Q & A format so you can access it more easier over the coming days, talk later.

Customer:

ok

Deb Jankura, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 20+ years experience in progressive small animal practice
How is Sophie? I hope she is more comfortable. If this does mot go away, you may have to consider allergies and that can be a hard thing to figure out.