Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

How long does it take for dewormer to become effective?

After the vet has wormed a puppy how long does it take for it to work?

Hello and thank you for asking your question.

Usually it takes 24-48 hours for the de-wormer to work. It takes three doses, given two weeks apart, but I see that he has already had three doses of de-wormer.

Did the vet deworm the puppy three times? Or were some of the doses given by a breeder?

Are you still seeing worms? If so, how long is the worm?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We wormed him two times and then we took him to the vet and he tested positive for round worms and the vet wormed him. He did pass a lot of them before we wormed him through his poop and vomit but since then we haven't seen any. His tummy is not as large as it was. Today we noticed he has passed some clear mucus looking stuff, is that normal? Also, he hasn't eaten today. He was last wormed on Tuesday of this week.

Do you remember what you used to deworm him? Was it piperazine? When did you deworm him?

Does it list what the vet used, to deworm him, on your receipt?

His blood sugar is probably low so put a teaspoon of pancake syrup, karo syrup, or sugar water in his mouth right now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I used a de-wormer from the local pet store by sergeants and I am not sure what the vet used. I do know it was for round worms. But if he tested positive for round worms and has been dewormed should he not be passing them by now or is it possible he doesn't have them anymore? The vet said to bring him back in a month for another shot.

If you used hartz piperazine, then it is not very effective. So I will not count those dewormings.

All vets use pyrantel pamoate, in puppies, for roundworms.

You can by "strongid-t," with the main ingredient "pyrantel pamoate." At the pet store or online.

So if he had round worms this week, it will take at least two more dewormings. The pyrantel pamoate must be given two weeks apart. So two weeks from his last deworming, he should be dewormed again.

You will not always see the worms come out the hind end. That only happens when they have high numbers of worms.

If his fecal test was positive, then he still has roundworms until he gets at least another dose of de-wormer. It may take a total of 3 doses.

He may be feeling bad from his vaccine. That is pretty common.

The mucous means there is inflammation in the large intestine. That could be from the de-wormer or the worms dying.

You can give him human pepto bismal. The dose is 1 teaspoon, per 10 pounds of weight, every 6 hours as needed.

See if he will eat some plain cooked chicken and white rice. This is a bland diet for dogs and easier to digest.

Keep rubbing syrup, on his gums, every 2-3 hours until he starts eating.

If he is not drinking well, give him pedialyte with a syringe, or eye dropper, until his gums feel nice and moist.

Heartworm prevention also prevents roundworms and hookworms. So the sooner you can get him started on that the better.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did go ahead and give him a teaspoon of pancake syrup. I don't guess that will hurt him will it? We did give him the de-wormer you suggested. We gave it to him two consecutive days and then two days later the vet dewormed him again. One of your vets on this site said to give it to him, once a day for 3 to 5 days. Was this too much? My vet said if he wasn't better tomorrow to bring him back in. Thank You so much you have been very helpful. I am just concerned about the mucus. Will the pepto bismal make him feel better? He weighs about 2 pounds, so how much would you give him?

Young puppies get low blood sugar easily. So the pancake syrup is to help prevent low blood sugar.

I have never giving it once a day for 3-5 days. I do not think it will hurt him. If you look up the recommended dose, 1-3 weeks, until 12 weeks of age, is the recommended schedule. Most vets do the deworming every 2 weeks. This is because there may be roundworm eggs, in his body, that will be hatching over the next 2-3 weeks.

The pepto bismal should help soothe the gastrointestinal tract and help him feel better.

I would give him 1/4 teaspoon every 6 hours as needed.

Try the chicken and rice too. It is easier to digest than dog food.