Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My female beagle was a rescue dog and was supposedly spayed.

My female beagle was a rescue dog and was supposedly spayed. She has a very red area of bumps that look like human hemorhoids that are sticking out of the vaginal area. They appear to be attached to a stem inside her vagina. What is this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she licking the area?
3- Is it one or several bumps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed it about an hour ago and don't think it was there this morning although it could have been present inside the vagina so I couldn't see it. She has been licking a lot and dragging her rear end during the last week which I attributed to the possibility of full anal glands, however, when I tried to express her anal glands, nothing came out. I planned to take her to the vet for this but this came up before I could do that. This appears like a cluster of small grapes and when I try to look inside, it looks like they are on a stalk.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
What you are describing are consistent with vaginal tumors. To determine the exact nature of the lumps I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the vagina or she will make it worst, pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (CVS) "hibiclens and was vagina 2 times a day until she is seen by your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these tumors usually benign or malignant?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
It depends on what they are, for example TVT (Transmissible Venereal Tumor) are malignant but respond very well to chemotherapy, whereas mast cell tumors depending on the type of mast cell tumor can be very aggressive with a poor prognosis. As stated above the only way of knowing is by collecting a sample of the cells and evaluating it under the microscope.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.