Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

Can you give a dog zanaflex to relieve severe anxiety of f

Can you give a dog zanaflex to relieve severe anxiety of fireworks?
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
We do not typically use muscle relaxers to deal with these kind of phobias/fears/anxieties.
Specific anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax are more effective.
You could also try something called a Thundershirt which is available online or at pet stores. Many owners swear by them but others feel that they are not effective.
Counter conditioning/behavior modification techniques are also sometimes effective but it can take a long time to reduce these phobias without some sort of drugs onboard as well.
There are some natural products (things like Rescue Remedy) that claim to have anti-anxiety effects but I haven't found them to be very helpful either.
I hope this helps but let me know if you want to chat about it more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will a vet prescribe a medication for his anxiety if I bring him in? and typically, what will he/she probably give him? I am afraid he is going to get hurt with this erratic behaviour, i.e. bolting etc. I I hate to see him suffer. Will benadryl pills safe for a dog?
I understand how concerning this is; you want to help Kobe but his panic is so intense that he won't let you.
Yes, you can give benadryl; the dose is 1 mg/lb twice daily. It can cause sedation in some dogs and can take the edge off of their anxiety. It won't hurt to try this but it often is not quite strong enough or the right drug for this problem.
Yes, your vet can dispense or prescribe anti-anxiety drugs for this problem. Every one has their own preferences, but I like Xanax because it works quickly and can be given only when you need to give it. Other drugs like Prozac take several weeks to build up in the system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your expertise. I will make him an appointment and have the Doctor prescribe him Xanax. In the mean time, i think I will plug him cheese and a mg of diphahidramine. sp? I rate you awesome with a smile.
I think that sounds like a very good plan:)
I'm glad I could help and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kobe. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Freaking out. His best friend a female yellow lab 9 yrs old, just moved from here, (Alaska) to the lower 48.
Poor boy, he just can't seem to catch a break, can he:( Sounds like you may need to get him a friend to ease the loneliness. Dr. Deb