Hello please help! My husband and I just brought a English bulldog from a breeder 2 days ago. She is 8 wks old and normally very active. When we brought her home we gave her puppy biscuits, and several more than we should have. She has been sick ever since. She has diarrhea and is vomiting, and sleeping all day. My husband took her to the vet this morning and they said that we should give her Zithromax & Metronidazole Elixir (administered by us at 12 noon). They also gave her a Centrine injection and fluid therapy. Last nite we spoke to the vet and she told us to give her boil chicken and white rice, she would't eat it. Around midnight, she became a little more active we thought she was improving. This morning she ate some of the chicken and rice before going to the vet.Before going to the vet this morning she had vomited at 9pm last nite. When my husband took her in, they took a stool sample, and wanted to know when she had last vomited- and she hadn't since the nite before. But now it at 10:15pm, 10:40 and now again at 11:40 she vomited. There is no blood in vomit or in her diarrhea. The vet said she is going to have diarrhea for two - three days, but she vomiting again- and hasn't eatin' all day - help!
Good evening!Do you know if Sugar was tested for parvo virus infection or what other testing she had done?
We don't know they took a fecal test
XXXXXX,Vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different things. One of the most serious is an infection with parvo virus; this condition is common in young puppies and is potentially fatal. In fact, when parvo virus is confirmed, the chances of survival are usually not better than 50% even with full treatment. Another potential reason for such acute vomiting and diarrhea is ingestion of something inappropriate and resultant intestinal blockage.Since we don't know what she was tested for and she does not appear to be better, I would not wait longer to get her evaluated and treated. Dehydration can set in quickly in puppies, especially those that aren't eating and are losing so much fluid. I really think you should take her to the nearest vet ER and have her evaluated. This should include a thorough examination, x-rays of her abdomen, a parvo virus test, fecal parasite screening and probably hospitalization for fluid therapy, treatment for vomiting, pain medication, possible antibiotic and the definitive therapy based on the diagnosis.We have to assume the worst, which is a parvo virus infection, so I would not waste time as, literally, hours count. The sooner treatment is started, the better. Here is a quick link on information about parvo virus: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=580.Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck!
My husband and I visited other dogs before buying her could we have past the virus to her?
Possibly. The virus is very difficult to destroy and it spreads by fecal oral route. If you had somehow contaminated yourself with infected feces from another dog and Sugar ingested it, then the virus could have passed on to her... It's more likely she got it while at the breeder, however. Young puppies are very susceptible to the virus and if it's present in the environment (from other dogs or wildlife) they can get easily infected...
the vet never mentioned anything about parvo-
Sugar's symptoms (vomiting/diarrhea) and young age highly suggest parvo; since this condition is potentially fatal and it's Saturday night, meaning that your vet is probably closed until Monday, I would definitely have her evaluated treated as soon as possible...
her vomit is like thick saliva. And she sitting up, I am so scared
XXXXXX, you should take Sugar to an emergency clinic tonight. That is really the best thing to do in your situation. Good luck!
Thank you so much- we took Sugar to the Animal Medical Center in NYC, and yes she has Sugar parvo. I have a serious question because husband and I have a dilemma. My breeder is asking that we remove the dog from the animal hospital and bring it to the Vet that he uses. But we had gone to that vet in the morning and they did not see it... please I am not sure what to do. Because the breeders vet never ever mentioned parvo! What to do please.
I'm sorry to hear about Sugar, I'd been hoping I was wrong...My guess is that the breeder has an arrangement worked out with their vet and get a discount there; so the breeder would probably like you to be there so they don't have to pay as much for Sugar's treatment. AMC in NY is about the best place Sugar can be so I would recommend you stay there; Sugar needs the best care possible under the circumstances. Whether the breeder is responsible for payment of your veterinary bills is up to Sugar's attending veterinarian at AMC and you to decide...
Thank you so much. I didnt receive ur response in time so we did choose to move Sugar (for many reasons: 1 being the breeders recommendation, 2 the financial aspect of this unfortunate situation).The vet tending to her says she has been stable. But on top of Parvo she also has pneumonia. We hope that we made the right choice for our pet, she been in the hospital for 3 1/2 days. We saw her yesterday- and found that her eyes were extremely red and puffy, she looked frail, and weak. She has lots of mucus draining, and her feces had blood in it the day before, but not again. She has stopped vomiting. Currently she is isolated from the other animals. We'd love to here from you what you think of all this, since you were so on track with your diagnostic- without even seeing her. We really value your opinion :-)In addition are there any specific questions I should ask the vet?
Hi XXXXXX, I'm sorry that Sugar isn't well... The good news is that she is still fighting, 3-4 days now. I think its a good sign. Parvo takes several days to get over and the pneumonia certainly makes things more difficult. I think that one of the most important things to ask is how they are managing her pain; if she is comfortable, then she can recover and heal better... I hope the gets better soon. Please keep me updated. Best wishes!
Once again thank you so much, thats good to know. We hadn't thought of that...so it's definitely the first thing we are going to ask, when we visit her tomorrow. Talk to you then.
You're welcome and good luck!