CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My 13 yr. old dog wont eat. We have had this problem since

My 13 yr. old dog won't eat. We have had this problem since April. Back in April, the vet said she had an infection and put her on antibiotics. That didn't work and she ended up having to be hospitalized. She ate for a few days then started not eating again. The doctor put her on steroids and she started eating again for about or month or so. Then she would go a few days of eating then a few days of eating only a little. 2 weeks ago she threw up yellow bile, we took her back to the vet. He thought it could be stress of us leaving her to go on vacation and gave us Cerenia tablets. She took four of those and 1/4 of a steroid and actually ate for about 9 days....she would actually come out when we were eatig to get food. Well, a couple of days ago she started having diarrhea and threw up once. We took her back to the vet on Thursday and he is thinking its some kind of colitis thing. He put her on Cerenia, Sulfasalazine, and Diphenoxylate and EN food. She ate a little bit of the EN food yesterday...about 6 bites then we had to force her to eat some more. She did drink on her own yesterday. Today, we woke up and saw she had a huge diarrhea accident in the house. We gave her another diarrhea pill, her Cerenia, and her Sulfasalazine. She does not want to drink on her own today, so we have been forcing her. She also does not want to eat anything. She is lethargic...she will move around a little bit...she did go outside down and up the stairs to use the bathroom but her back end is kinda weird when she stands. Sometimes she shakes a bit. My question is should we force feed her? Should we just take her back to the vet? Or do we have to see if the medicine will work for her or has it been long enough? She has been on medicine for 2 days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist:
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

I am here, online and happy to help.

I do have a few questions.

1) What tests has your vet performed?

2) Are any other pets in the house affected?

3) Is there weight loss?

4) Do you think any of the above medications helped?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Back in April, he did a blood test. At that time,I think it was her white count that was high so he thought infection and put her on meds that didnt help. He was not concerned with her kidney or liver. He also cleaned her teeth and took an x-ray from her head to neck and found nothing and re did the blood test a couple of weeks later and her counts were fine. 2 weeks ago he noticed some tenderness by her pancreas and such but on Thursday he said she was not tender there anymore. We do have a German Sheppard but he is eating fine. Yes, she has lost weight. She lost a little over a pound in 2 weeks. Our vet has never mentioned anything about cancer or tumors and still seems to stray away from her liver or kidneys. The thing that helped her the most was the steroids. It did get her to eat again, but a few weeks after they are out of her system she goes back to not eating. 2 weeks ago the Cerenia did help but she also had 1/4 of a steroid at that time also. She went about 8 days straight eating then. She has been on these for 2 days and yesterday she ate only about 1/4 of a can of the EN. Today she had one lick of boiled chicken and I have been putting drops of water in her mouth with a eye dropper.
Thank you for your reply,.

Here are some thoughts to consider.

Using history alone it is difficult to make just one cause - but Pancreatitis (LINK HERE) is a concern.

With this history, it would be reasonable to consider an abdominal ultrasound. This will give you a completely NON-invasive and easy look at all of the abdominal organs - the stomach, intestines, liver, spleen, pancreas, etc.

If you are not familiar with this procedure, this link (CLICK HERE) will help.

Bloodwork (EXAMPLE HERE) can be done for pancreatitis as well, but an ultrasound would give you much more information.

Some of these medications you have used before - but common therapies to consider include:

1) With diarrhea, higher fiber diets such as Hill’s W/D or even adding a fiber source such as bran or canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to the normal diet to increase the fiber content to help firm up the stool.

2) Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) -
LINK HERE

3) While not indicated in all cases, antibiotics are sometimes considered such as Metronidazole or Amoxicillin

4) Prescription medications for nausea from your veterinarian such as Cerenia (LINK HERE) or Zofran (LINK HERE)

Moreover - If you wanted to see a specialist, a board certified veterinary internal medicine specialist would be recommended. Your veterinarian can refer you, or you can use this - LINK HERE

When going to that link above, you can find an internist with the provided boxes. Under the 3rd box “Specialty”, choose “SAIM - Small Animal Internal Medicine” and then fill out the rest of your information for state, etc.

These are veterinarians that went through veterinary school, and then did not only at least 1 year of an internship, but then did a 3 year residency ONLY focusing on this specialty to best diagnose and treat conditions such as this.

Before rating - Please REPLY at any time if more information is needed and I would be glad to reply back and help!

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus is appreciated as this is the way the professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you suggest that we force feed her? or should we just go back to the vet? Give these medicines more time?
HI there,

Gentle encouragement to feeding is good.

With that said, if she has nausea and you try to force feed - truly force, 2 concerns are there:

1) Risk of aspiration

2) Causing a food aversion and continued loss of appetite.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ro. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet