CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My chihuahua is having a hard time walking, he stands in one

My chihuahua is having a hard time walking, he stands in one spot with his head hanging down as if he is in alot of pain. He had his back leg operated on in Dec 2011 for luxating petella and they put a pin in his knee cap to keep it in place. Could something have happen to that pin that he can barely walk? I was really concerned because my dog has a habit of getting into my purse and at first I thought maybe he ingested medication but it looks more like his leg? He won't lay down either, just stand in one spot.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) Can you try to move his head / neck to see if that is painful?

2) Is only 1 leg affected or are there multiple legs affected?

3) Is there vomiting / diarrhea / or other illness?

-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it doesn't seem that his head/neck is affected, no vomiting.It looks to me that he seems to be having problems with the left leg that was operated on. His right leg also has the same problems so you can see it slip out and back into the socket. I have never seen him just stand in one spot, and not lay down. When he tried to use his wee pad to urinate, he lifted the one leg and almost fell over as if he could not balance on just the one leg.
Based on your history - the 2 more common sites of discomfort based on age and breed would include:

- One knee problem in this breed can be a luxating patella (knee cap) - LINK

- We can also see hip pain, such as arthritis - LINK HERE

Less common would be a slipped/herniated disc - LINK HERE

For this reason, if these signs persist, or worsen - I would consider making an appointment with your veterinarian for an evaluation. They will be able to feel the hips, knees, and do a neurological examination to look for back pain.

If present, decreased activity and several days of an anti-inflammatory pain medication will likely be discussed.

Pain medications used commonly are EITHER (not both at the same times) NSAIDS STEROIDS.

Common NSAIDS include
- Rimadyl (LINK HERE)
- Deramaxx (
LINK HERE)
- Meloxicam (
LINK HERE)
The most common steroid used is Prednisone (LINK HERE)

Other adjunct medications include:

1) Tramadol (an opiod like morphine used in dogs) - LINK HERE

2) Methocarbamol is a muscle relaxer (LINK HERE) and also commonly considered.

With that said, while most veterinarians do not like the use of human over the counter pain medications such as Tylenol (acetaminophen) or human ibuprofen, although some have good experience with aspirin (LINK HERE)

A typical aspirin dose is 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg) twice daily for dogs.

When using NSAIDS or aspirin, often Pepcid A/C (famotidine) LINK HERE is used as well to reduce the risk of stomach upset.

The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours

I hope this helps! Please REPLY if more information is needed.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus is appreciated as this is the way the professional receives credit for their time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.

This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have made an appointment for 12pm today. I do have the medication Metacam that was given to him for pain when he had his operation. Should I give him this now or wait for the doctor to see him in a few hrs. He looks so miserable.
While I absolutely understand the concern for comfort - being you have an appointment so soon - best to wait for a good examination to make sure this is appropriate.