Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

my dog has very loose stools with possibly blood and mucus

Customer Question

my dog has very loose stools with possibly blood and mucus what could be causing this? also she seems to have a very loud gurgilly belly with these symptoms brought on all the sudden tonight. She is an 11 yr old min pin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

My name is Scott I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be pleased to try and answer your question, but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you answer the following questions concisely.

1. How is she other than the diarrhoea? Still quite bright and happy?

This is just an information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present and will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

Please note it may take up to twenty minutes for me to consider your problem, perhaps look up some information and then type up your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she seems to be acting mostly like her usual self
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose your dog's problem via the internet I can make the following general comments based on my experience of such cases over the years :

This sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have your vet check your Min Pin over. However if she is bright and alert and fairly happy other than the diarrhoea then the chances are this is not too serious. Diarrhoea is very common in the dog.

That said until you can get to the vet I can tell you that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases, where for example a dog has eaten somethings she should not have out in the yard or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. You can sometimes see mucous and even blood in the diarrhoea in these situations.

Here are some examples of common sense remedies.

1. Assuming she is otherwise fairly bright and you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

2. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if your Min Pin deteriorates further in any way you should see your vet ASAP.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if I take her to my vet later. do you think they will run many tests on her? could it get very expensive? I also have another dog who has been having slightly runny stools off and on over the last few days and he also vomited once. could it be something contageous?
Hello again,

Well seeing the vet is your best option of course, your vet will examine your dog and then decide on what tests are needed, could be very little could be a lot. No way to know without examining her I am afraid.

If the other dog has had symptoms then yes it could be something contagious, this is not uncommon. Sometimes you can resolve this sort of situation with simple home remedies such as I outlined though ...

Good luck,

Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet Answers Vet