Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Dog with growth on their snout on the side of their nose that

Dog with growth on their snout on the side of their nose that looks like a raspberry?? Vet started on antibiotics but has no idea what they're treating???
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

I am sorry to hear about this concern. your veterinarian may be thinking it is some type of hypersensitivity reaction like a insect bite or sting or a possible infection. However, it is possibly a small growth like a mast cell tumor. Therefore, if it does not respond to the antibiotics, your veterinarian may recommend a fine needle aspiration or biopsy test.

Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

It may also be beneficial to ask the veterinarian for a topical antibiotic/steroid cream to see if helpful as well.

Good Luck

Please remember to leave feedback by selecting a SMILEY FACE followed by "Submit".
If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.
This is necessary, so I may receive credit from the website for my response, even if you are a subscribing member. Receiving bonuses is also greatly welcomed.

This is meant to be a chat, and for this reason, it is very important that you respond using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed BEFORE rating. Only rate my answer when you are finished replying. IF you feel the need to rate "bad" or "poor", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I would be happy to continue assisting further, and do everything I can to be of the greatest assistance.

After we conclude this chat, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile. Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites at: Dr. Andy

REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. Any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would any of those you mention literally look like a raspberry? It really looks like a papiloma, except it's red in color.
yes, there are a few tumors that can look like a raspberry.
That would include concerns like a mast cell tumor, which is cancerous, or a histiocytoma, which is a benign growth. Another consideration is a benign hemangioma.

It is the red color that is just a bit more concerning, but that can also be caused by inflammation.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr. Andy,

thank you so much for the follow up; no further results at this time, will update when there are.