CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

shih tzu: has been panting and shaking all night..threw..emergency vet

Our 9 yr old shih tzu has been panting and shaking all night.....I put a wet cool towel over her body to see if that would help cool her down and almost immediately she threw up. She has been on methylprednisolone 4 mg tablets since 7/6/12 . It is only 4:30 am here in California and no emergency vet services in our area available. Any advice until we can get her to our vet?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) Are you able to take her temperature?

2) Last night or the day before, was there a change in food? people food? treats?

3) Is the belly bloated or painful?

4) What color are the gums?

-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunate not able to take temp
My husband says he gave her bits of fruits yesterday ( nectarines, plums & orange)
Her tummy area is very hot, doesn't seem to be blotted but when I rubbed her tummy it seemed to calm her a moment but no moans or flinching when I rubbed her stomach
Gums are very pink color
Especially with the history of fruits being given - typically - this is more of a digestive disturbance and stomach upset than a true disease or concern.

For cases such as this - Some owners do a trial run - meaning they fast for 12-24 hours - then attempt a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days to see if the signs resolve

Rather than large meals - you might wish to start feeding smaller meals more often, which will not lead to the full belly and therefore the hope for improved comfort.

For now - regarding stomach upset, Pepcid A/C (Famotidine) is also a consideration - dosages and usage information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful!

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus if happy is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.

This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
-

If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.

-
Hi Deanna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good Day,
Maggie is much better....late evening the next day she seemed to be getting back to herself. Pretty sure you were right on with the upset stomach thing. Now if I can get my husband to stop sharing his food with her... :) Thank you so much. DeAnna

Glad to help!