Our mini schnauzer (19 lbls) ate about 1/4 box of brownie mix about 4 hours ago. She is very bloated and lethargic. Do I need to take her to animal emergency care?
Type of Animal: mini schnauzer
Name of Dog: Tillie
Hi there --
Welcome to Just Answer.
It sounds like Tillie has some gas or enlargement of the stomach or abdomen -- and that she is not feeling well -- woudl that be accurate?
Yes, she is just lying on the floor and very bloated.
Is there any indication of tremors or hyperactivity, or seizures or icoordination?
(sorry -- incoordination)
No, just very low energy. She doesn't want to get up.
Was this a milk chocolate mix or some other type of chocolate?
Pillsbury chocolate fudge - about 1/4 of the box
When there is ingestion of this sort of product -- usually there is not much in the way of lasting effects. If enough is eaten, then there may be chocolate toxicity, or digestive upset due to the mix in general .
Should we just keep a close eye on her for awhile?
The amount your dog ate is borderline -- and there is not a calculation that tells us how much brownie mix will cause an issue. There is a calculation for chocolate -- but the brownie mix does not disclose exactly how much the chocolate concentration is it .
So we do have to go on symptoms --
The big things to watch for now are pale gums. tremors or seizures, hyperactivity or inability to get comfortable, increased lethargy, or an abdomen that is painful when touched or massaged deeply.
If you have any doubt about her comfort -- then a vet visit is needed.
Ok, thank you. We'll watch for those symptoms and take her to the vet if she has any of them.
Very good -- administration of Gas X would be advised --
The strips that dissolve in the mouth are quite safe to use -- you could give 1/4 of an adult human dose every 4-6 hours as needed.
Ok, thank you.
If there is not improvement within 30 minutes - 1 hour -- then consider a vet visit if she is uncomfortable.
Is there anything else that I may assist you with this evening ?
No, thank you. I'll run out for some Gas-X now.
Very good -- any other symptoms or continued lethargy would warrant a vet visit immediately. Cocoa powder can be more toxic than other forms of chocolate -- so continued symptoms warrant care to avoid long term effects of the chocolate .
You are most welcome --
Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
Hi Lisa,I'm just following up on our conversation about Tillie. How is everything going?Dr. BJ Hughes
She is much better - thank you for checking back with us. The Gas-X started to help almost immediately. We gave her 3 doses over 24 hours and the bloating eventuallly went down.
Very good. I am glad all went well !! Thank you for the update. It does help us to do the best job possible . No need to reply or rate -- thanks .