Extensive bleeding from spay procedure.Is this a very common problem? Our dog was spayed on Friday and came home afterwards. The following morning there was a significant amount of blood leaking from the incision. The bleeding or steady dripping continued from the incision point even as I drove her to the emergency pet hospital (not the vet) nearly 24 hrs after the procedure.The procedure is going on as we speak, but to the tune of $1,700 - $2,500 as a result. I am miffed about the pricing but didn't feel I had a choice since she appeared to be bleeding out. I've already given them $1,000 deposit in order to get them to begin the procedure. Due to our current economic situation, This is nearly as difficult as the thought of losing her. Your thoughts are much appreciated.Thank you in advance,Sad and Broke now.
Type of Animal: Yellow Lab
Age: 4 years
Name of Dog: Sally
Return to the vet and taken her to the Emergency Pet Hospital.
Hi there --
Welcome to Just Answer --
Continued bleeding after a spay can occur. This is such a difficult situation for you -- and my heart goes out to you.
The emergency hospital should let you and your vet know where the problem occured.
Sometimes sutures that ligate or hold an artery can become loose or slip off ---
In older larger dogs the procedure is a bit more difficult -- and there are larger arteries and they can be more difficult to ligate. So while this is not common --- it can occur.
The reason for the bleeding is most important == and the surgeon doing the repair will be the best source of information on this.
After the surgery --
as you left the vet's office -- how many hours after the surgery was she released?
and were there any problems when she left -- such as bleeding, pale gums , etc ?
It appears that you may be offline --
or may not be able to see my responses --
You can write me back in the box below and click reply --
I am still here --- it appears that you are typing ......
The Vet called me just after surgery yesterday and said something of a clamp coming off and another incision being made. Therefore the initial cut had to be widened. She appeared to not be bleeding when she came home, however after about six hours, blood began to seep from the exterior incision point (pooling?). The Emergency Pet Hospital stated that she will definitely need platelettes as her (red or white) count was around 34% normally about 40-50 I guess. The gums were a darker shade of pink upon leaving the vet. When waking this morning after the bleed, they appeared lighter in color.
She was released from surgery about three hours after the procedure.
I understand --
The hematocrit is generally used to check the red blood cell count in these cases --
This is a link to additional information --
We watch for a fall over time -- to tell if the blood is being lost or if there is an improvement --
Often when it is falling -- or there is a very low level -- then transfusion is needed.
Usually -- if the level is not very low -- then we recheck later to be sure that there is an improving curve ---
Ah, yes they did do a hematocrit and it checked out ok initially but after more evaluation it was determined that she may need a few units.
Ok -- so there has been a lower level ?
Yes, the levels had gone down and she's not clotting very well. I'm taken back by the severity of a seemingly common procedure (although she is old and bigger than most spays with larger parts = more blood flowing there). The cost compared to the spay cost is three to six times the total.
For what it's worth, the Hospital Dr explained to me that he would want to keep her anywhere from 1-2 days depending on how she does.
I understand the concern -- and confusion. I would agree with hospitalization for 1-2 days. In a typical spay -- the reproductive organs are brought out of the abdomen and sutures placed while they are out of the incision -- and then replaced .
WIth the first repair -- an increased size of incision was necessary to see the part that was dropped back inside or clamp slipped) .
This can occur in any surgery -- and is a considered a risk of the surgery that can make a simple procedure more complicated....
Ideally -- this should have fixed the problem --
While it is traumatic, the cost of the procedure is going to be tough to handle. I have given them a $1,000 deposit with the remaining balance being anywhere from $700 - $1,500 more. Do you think there is a chance they could work with us? I know each is different, but is this common?
But if this suture or another one came loose after closing the incision -- then this would be consistent with the 6 hour delay in seeing bleeding.
Regarding the finances -- every clinic is different . Unfortunately, emergency clinics do not generally set up payment plans -- simply because the default rates on emergency procedures is quite high.
There may be a couple of options -
I do understand the fact that the pedical(spelling?) came of the clamp and had to be reclamped before suturing. It is emotionally devastating on our family but I'm hoping for an easy recovery.
There is a plan called Care Credit which is a low or no interest loan that is set up by a third party --
It allows 6 -12 months to pay off -- and is a very good way to handle unexpected emergencies.
I understand the default rates and the reasoning behind it. So any options that are normally available would be great. I could contact them for these answers probably but left before they started and wasn't thinking very clearly when we arrived. :)
There is an application process for approval .
I believe I saw a flyer in the office and will inquire about it when we return.
Also -- a personal unsecured loan may be used. In true cases of financial need, there are sometimes local humane societies that can assist if they have a plan available.
Yes -- it is very common to use -- and a very reliable source. Many dentists, vets, and doctors use this -- so if your credit record is good, and you have ability to pay over time -- this would be the best option.
Thank you Dr. Hughes. Your answers have been most helpful as we needed someone to turn to and you have been wonderful.
You are most welcome. It is very traumatic when a simple procedure has such complications.
Generally -- the recovery from these situations is very good ---
and also -- the spay (even with complications) is still less expensive (even with complications) than an ER visit for a pyometra (infection in the uterus) . This infection is common in older females that are not spayed.
SO the spay is still worth the efforts you are having to put out --
Thank you once again. I am signing off, but your thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated by all of us. Keep up the good work!
Just trying to place a positive spin on the situation> i hope her recovery is good and uneventful. You have had enough stress for a day or so !
I know it's best, but it's like getting a spanking when you're a kid....."This is for your own good". Hard to believe, but most often true!!! :)
Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.