Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .

Our dog is constantly licking his nose and breathing is a bit

Our dog is constantly licking his nose and breathing is a bit more heavy than usual. He seems a bit unsettled and restless. Actually have him on my lap right now to settle him a bit. Temp is ok at 38.1 . Started about an hour or so ago .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

vetdeb :

Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

vetdeb :

Can you tell if Charlie has any nasal discharge coming from either one or both of his nostrils? Does he appear to have any pain anywhere that you can localize? Can you count his respirations/minute?

vetdeb :

Any swelling anywhere on his face? Could he have been stung or bit by an insect or spider?

vetdeb :

The symptoms that you describe are not associated with one particular problem. Dogs can lick their noses because they have a discharge and sometimes it's hard to tell if they do or not because they lick it away so quickly, but you can look up his nostrils to determine if there appears to be anything there. Dogs can also lick in response to fear/anxiety/pain. The breathing and being unsettled could also be in response to fear/anxiety/pain. If he was stung or bitten, I would expect at least a little bit of swelling around the nose area.

vetdeb :

Depending on your responses, it might be appropriate to try either either bufferin or benadryl or it might be more appropriate to monitor the situation for a little while longer if he doesn't appear to be in great distress.

vetdeb :

The average dog takes between 15-30 breaths/minute so this will give you a guideline. Dog who are in pain or fearful or anxious can oftentimes have elevated respiratory rates; other problems can cause this as well (heart disease, lung disease, for example).

vetdeb :

It looks as if you are offline, but I would be happy to discuss this in more detail when I have a little more information.

Customer: We thought about bite swell . Could not find any swelling also no discharge from the nose . It got better very sudden . He liked overnight and seems quite bright this morning. Had his breakfast as normal. I'm thinking that maybe he had eaten something poisonous ? Or allergic reaction ? Our other dog is fine though
vetdeb :

Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you sooner but I have been off the computer. I'm glad that Charlie seems ok now but it is had been something poisonous, I would have expected him to be vomiting or showing different kinds of symptoms. An allergic reaction is certainly possible or even if not a bite or sting, then perhaps he stuck his nose somewhere that he shouldn't and it was more of a "twinge"...not enough to cause swelling but just enough to feel uncomfortable.

vetdeb :

This is one of those situations that if we just get him to talk, we'd have it all figured out:) In any event, I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be anything serious and that he's ok.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

vetdeb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all seems fine . by the way i clearly had finger trouble when i answered you, wanted to write he did puke in the night .... , well anyway - he is absolutly back to normal now .so thanks for your help / input
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update; I appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
There have been a few problems with the system recently. Did you attempt to rate me? If so, please let me know which rating you'd like to leave and I will contact customer service. Thank you.
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .