Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog ate pork rib bones from the trash.

My dog ate some pork rib bones.... From the trash. What do I need to look out for? And what can I feed him (very fussy eater) that can help?

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that Treo ate some rib bones.

Do not induce vomiting as the chance of an esophageal perforation or serious damage is much too high.

My hope is that he chewed them up thoroughly and his stomach acid may be able to dissolve most of the rest and they may pass.

You may see some loose stools because pork is oily and often causes stomach/intestinal upset.

I'd feed him a vaseline sandwich to add fiber and help the pieces slide through. Make the sandwich by taking one slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on bread, top with another piece of bread and then feed it to him bite by bite or you'll have a vaseline mess.

I'd recommend feeding a bland diet of 2/3 boiled white rice and 1/3 boiled hamburger (or white skinless chicken) in small meals several times a day for the next 3 to 4 days. I'd add 1 tablespoon of pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. This will bulk up his stool and help push any small pieces through as well as cushion them so they don't irritate his intestine. At the end of the 3 to 4 day period start mixing in his regular food and slowly convert him back over 5 to 7 days to all regular dog food.

Watch his stools closely for signs of bones.

Things that should warrant concern and a veterinary visit are a fever (rectal temperature more than 103F), vomiting, abdominal pain or a lack of appetite. Those signs would indicate a blockage or perforation and then he should be seen immediately.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Do you mean Vaseline petroleum jelly? The same thing used to remove make-up?
Yes, petroleum jelly is exactly what I mean. It is non-digestable or absorbable and should pass through purely as a lubricant.