mu 5mo old puppy has been acting very lethargic and won't let touch his mouth. Just noticed also that his chin and lower lip is swolen. Is it possible he was bit by a bee or bug?
Type of Animal: sheltie sherperd mix
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Yes, he may have been stung.
I would try giving him human benadryl to help prevent an allergic reaction.
The dose is 1 mg per pound every 12 hours until the swelling is gone.
The benadryl may make him sleepy.
You can also use a cold pack on the swelling.
You really need to get a look in his mouth.
There could be a stinger in there.
He could also have a foreign body like a splinter.
Have may have trauma to that area or broken teeth.
Signs of a severe allergic reaction are swelling that does not respond to benadryl, difficulty breathing, or pale gum color. If you notice any of those signs, take him to the emergency clinic for a cortisone injection.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply" thanks
DVM 14 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
Hi Steve,I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?Dr. Gabby