CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Type your Dog Veterinary question here. I have a mini male

Customer Question

Type your Dog Veterinary question here. I have a mini male dachs 7 yrs old and over the last few monh she has been experiencing episodes where it sounds as though is is chokig on something. Our local vet sair it was a "reverse sneeze" but benadryl and zyrtec have not really helped. He eats and pees but does not play with his toys as much and he does wag his tail as much and seems a bit more subdued recently. He had a normal CXR. What else could be going on? Are we missing something? He will often wak me in the middle of he night or 1st thing in the morning with this "hacking" which started originally with him eating certain things and food which we thought he ate too fast. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.
Rae Kennedy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) Does the episode you are seeing look or sound like this - CLICK HERE

2) Does the episode you are seeing look or sound like this - CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What can I do if \benadryl and zyrtec don't work?
Hi there,

I am glad you replied! I was concerned you could not view the question.

If Benadryl and Zyrtec do not work, steroids are the very common next step, with Prednisone being the most common form used.

This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the
REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) and bonus if happy is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.