alhdvm
alhdvm, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 11+ years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I work on all species of animals.
10679819

My dog has a dislocated knee (pretty sure) and my family cant

My dog has a dislocated knee (pretty sure) and my family cant afford surgery. is there anything else I can do to help him?

alhdvm :

Welcome to Just Answer! I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

alhdvm :

It sounds like Coda has a luxating patella which is basically where the knee cap doesn't stay in place.

alhdvm :

Is he holding the leg completely up all the time?

alhdvm :

Which leg is it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is his back left leg. The only time he really puts it down is when he runs, or when he is completely still. But he puts barely any weight on it, like barely touches the floor
Has he been seen by a vet? You need a diagnosis before I can tell you what to do for him. The two most likely things are 1. a luxating patella and 2. torn cruciate ligament.

Is this completely new problem or has he always limped off and on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My mom took him to a vet and she doesnt remember fully (thinks the 1st 1) but she does remeber its because his knee cap keeps poping out. Its been around 6 months but has been more prevelent in the past couple months
If it is patellar luxation and it is that severe (likely grade 3 or 4) then surgery is going to be the best solution. Has your mom tried calling different clinics in your area? I bet she could find a clinic that is low cost and would do the surgery for a much lower cost. Just because one clinic quotes a high amount doesn't mean that is what all clinics charge. What area (city, state) are you in and I will try to help you find a low cost clinic.

If that still isn't an option then here are other things you can do:

1. weight loss if the dog is overweight
2. starting a glucosamine/ chondroitin/msm supplement
3. starting an anti-inflammatory medication like aspirin - it would be better to get a prescription from your vet for a dog specific aspirin-like medication that is safer for dogs. If you are going to go with aspirin then buy the "dog" aspirin that you can get a Petsmart/Petco and follow the instructions on the bottle carefully
4. decrease his exercise to almost nothing for a few weeks, do the above and then slowly start exercising him more.

I hope this helps. Let me know where you live and I will try to help you find a low cost clinic.

Dr. Hinson
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My family is located in Highlands Ranch (80129). Thank you for your help and suggestions
There are no clinics in the Highlands Ranch area but there are some in Denver. I would try one of these....

1. PetAid
191 Yuma St
Denver 80223
(303) 722-5800

2. Animal Healthcare Specialists
6701 Washington St
Denver 80229
(303) 288-6800

3. Downtown Animal Care Center
1041 Galapago St
Denver 80204
(303) 595-3561

They all have websites you can look at. I really hope one of them can help you out! At least take Coda for a second opinion. Please keep me updated!

Dr. Hinson