Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Knowledgable on dog behavior and health.
65104486

My little dog all of a sudden cant walk. He is holding his

My little dog all of a sudden can't walk. He is holding his front paw and his rear opposite paw up he yelps when you pick him up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Veterinarian101 replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am an experienced veterinarian and happy to help!

Before we start please note:

We are testing a new rating system. If you have any problem with it please let me know.

This is meant to be a continuous chat, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button, BEFORE rating, if more information is needed at any time.

Your poor dog sounds very sore!

When I hear that a dog is lame in a front leg AND a back leg AND also is painful when picked up it tells me that your dog has a neck problem. This is most likely going to be a disc problem between the vertebrae or possibly in a dog of Jerry's age some worsening of arthritis in the neck region.

You can try moving his head around to see if it is painful. You need to turn his head to either side quite forcefully (but gently!) until his chin touches his shoulder. Also lift his head up and down so that his chin touches his front toes. Sometimes this will cause a painful response but sometimes even this will not show a painful response - depending on where the problem is in the neck.

Are you able or likely to go to your vet? How many hours until they are open (I am in a different time zone)?

If you are not able to get to a vet for 12 hours or so (and your dog is eating and drinking ok) then you could try him on some pain relief to help him. The simplest medication you can use at home is acetaminophen (Tylenol). Dose rate is 10mg/kg bodyweight or 5mg/lb body weight twice daily. I would only do this for a maximum of 2 doses.

I hope this helps and let me know if you need further assistance.

This is meant to be a running dialog, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I have done that I am in Australia 5.30pm Sunday so will take him to the vet tomorrow morning. He is drinking and seems alert but still is holding his front paw and opposite back paw up in the air when I make him stand up. He was also trembling slightly more like shivering a little but that is only when I make him stand? If it is his neck what do vets do?
He is trembling because he is most likely uncomfortable and possibly painful. We also see trembling in dogs with severe arthritis.

I would just give one dose of the Panadol as described above and then visit your vet 9am tomorrow.

Treatment for neck problems depends on the cause of the problem.

They may suggest xrays to help diagnose it but at the least they will give your dog some anti-inflammatories and pain relief that will make your dog much more comfortable.

In the meantime keep them really quiet (e.g. on lead or carried when going to the toilet and no walks!).

Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Knowledgable on dog behavior and health.