Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of veterinary experience
36050890

My dogs sprained her leg, what can I give her for pain and

My dogs sprained her leg, what can I give her for pain and mild swelling?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you with your question about Lulu. Please let me start by saying I'm so sorry she is having this problem. Did you see her injure her leg?

Customer:
Customer:

yes, she caught it between a fence and concrete slab

Dr. Jo :

Oh OUCH!

Customer:

yes, its a little swollen,

Dr. Jo :

Keep in mind that I cannot diagnose or prescribe over the internet. By all means, if the pain and swelling persist, you will want to seek veterinary care. Regardless, I am glad you are here asking. All too often we see problems from people doing more harm than good by giving the wrong over-the-counter medications to their dogs.

Dr. Jo :

I see Lulu is 7. Is she otherwise healthy? Does she take any medications?

Customer:
Dr. Jo :

And do you have any prescription-strength veterinary drugs on hand that have been prescribed for her in the past?

Customer:

absolutely dr, what medicine can I give her to reduce swelling, someone told me they gave their dog benedryl but I just want to make sure that this would be safe to do so. she does not take any other medications except for heart worm given monthly

Customer:

no no other scripts

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, benadryl won't help with this kind of swelling. It only helps with the kind of swelling that results from an allergy, like with a bee sting. It won't help with swelling from an injury.

Customer:

what would you suggest

Dr. Jo :

For that she needs an anti-inflammatory. People take drugs like aspirin, tylenol, and advil for this kind of pain and swelling, but these drugs can do more harm than good.

Dr. Jo :

It CAN be safe to give a dog a small dose of aspirin or tylenol, but other medications like advil can make a dog very VERY sick, so you have to be careful.

Dr. Jo :

Because of that, I'd like to ask you how serious her pain is.

Dr. Jo :

The safest bet is to NOT medicate her at all and just allow her to rest. If she'll allow you to soak the injury with an ice-water washcloth that can actually provide great pain relief.

Customer:

I don't think her pain is that serious, I think she is mostly uncomfortable, not able to run around with our other dogs

Customer:
Dr. Jo :

Will she use the injured leg at all, or is she carrying it completely.

Dr. Jo :

?

Dr. Jo :

Also, how long ago did the injury occur?

Customer:

She is limping a bit

Customer:
Customer:

the injury occured this morning

Customer:

If I felt her pain has increased, she is a 80lb dog, how much aspirin would I need to give her?

Dr. Jo :

I'll be completely honest with you. I know you logged onto this website looking for information on specific medication you could give Lulu. Yes, you could give her a little bit of aspirin or a little bit of tylenol and it would probably be safe, but it also won't really help her all that much. The safest plan is to wait it out and let her rest until you can get her to the vet and get a safe and effective prescription pain reliever for her.

Dr. Jo :

That being said, if you'd still like to give her a bit of aspirin or tylenol, I'll help you figure a dose for her if you tell me how much she weighs.

Customer:

She has an appt on July 3rd for her annual checkup

Customer:

she weighs 80lbs

Dr. Jo :

At eighty pounds she can have a maximum dose of 500mg of tylenol every twelve hours, or about 400mg of aspirin every twelve hours. I'd start with a half dose and see if that provides sufficient relief. Pick one and stick with it, and give it with food. If it mak

Dr. Jo :

IF it makes her vomit or lose her appetite, stop the medication altogether.

Dr. Jo :

Do you have questions about how the aspirin or tylenol you have on your shelf translates into a mg doseA?

Dr. Jo :

dose?

Customer:

yes, how does that work?

Dr. Jo :

Go get your bottle. I'll wait. I'll want you to read the mg strength right off the label for me.

Customer:

Ok, I have it but its empty and put back on the shelf, go figure, however it was 500 mg

Dr. Jo :

Bummer. Do you have either aspirin or tylenol in the house, or will you be running to the store?

Customer:

well like you said, I will not medicate her unless I feel she gets worse , I'll keep doing what I have been doing with the tepid soaks, she is eating fine so I won't mess with that, I'll get more tomorrow but the same, 500mg

Dr. Jo :

So for an 80 pound dog, give one 500mg tablet of either tylenol or aspirin every 12 hours with food, if necessary.

Dr. Jo :

I hope she heals up quickly. Maybe she'll even be back to normal by her the time of her appointment.

Dr. Jo :

Also, it's reasonable to expect her to be worse when she first gets up in the morning. The stiffness should work out as she gets on with her day.

Dr. Jo :

Otherwise, simply make it a point to avoid throwing the ball or going for long runs. Give her the chance to rest and heal.

Dr. Jo :

I hope I've been able to provide you the information you needed and be helpful. Please remember you can always post more to this thread, even after you've rated the service. I'm happy to help.

Customer:

ok, thankyou Dr. Jo for your time, you well educated me. Didn't want to listen to others about didn't medicines and didn't realize how dangerous it can be. If it gets worse, I'll just have to up her appt. Thankyou. and yes I'll walk her around the yard in the morning.

Customer:

thankyou and goodnight

Dr. Jo :

Thank you very much!

Customer:
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 17 years of veterinary experience