my 17 lb dog ate a corn cob should i be concerned?
Type of Animal: dachsund/jack russel mix
Name of Dog: caly
Yes, I would have to say any dog, particularly a small dog, that eats a corn cob is likely going to have an obstruction. When did he eat it? Was it the entire cob or just a small part of it?
If it just happened, you might be able to make him vomit it back up. The problem, of course, is that it may have turned in the stomach and so when he vomits it won't come straight back up the esophagus, But I still think it would be worth a try. I would give Caly 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Wait about 15 min--she should start vomiting in that period of time.
If the cob doesn't come back up, however, then I would recommend taking Caly to an emergency vet. They may have an endoscope with which they could remove the cob through the esophagus with some sedation. If you let it try to pass, it will likely lodge in Caly's intestines and require exploratory surgery to remove it.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information. What happens now? If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
she ate it about 40 minutes ago I think she ate almost the whole cob
I would try to induce vomiting and hope for the very best. If not, I would find an emergency vet and give them a call. If they don't have anything that would enable them to remove the cob from the stomach, then you can probably wait until your regular vet is open on Monday.
I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.