Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Dachshund in Tokyo has a hernia so must have an operation

My Dachshund in Tokyo has a hernia so must have an operation asap says the Dog Veterinary in Tokyo. Choco is 10 years old and 8kilos. I have several questions:
1. Cause of a hernia in a dog?
2. An operation is necessary?
3. Painful before or after operation?
4. Is this type of operation risky or low risk?
5. Usual cost in USA for this?
6. Can Choco do usual activities like walking and playing before and after operation?
Thank you,
Michael
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning Michael and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If this is a Perineal Hernia, then this is extremely important to have this procedure done since this will trap bowels and/or bladder inside this hernia and cause strangulation and this could be life threatening to Choco. If this is an Umbilical Hernia that is very large then the same applies. All hernias have the risk of trapping bowel which could be life threatening, Michael. This procedure is more risky on an older dog but as long as lab work is done prior to this procedure, it will be safe for Choco. The cost in the US ranges between $300-1500 depending on where this is and the extent of the hernia. A Perineal Hernia is much more involved and will cost more. After Choco has healed from this procedure, he can do everything that he did before this. The post op care may be painful but pain meds are given to Choco to ease this discomfort....does that help?

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.