Is it dangerous for small dog to eat a spider ? She swallowed it whole.
Type of Animal: pug/boston terrier
Name of Dog: layla
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
You wouldn't happen to know what kind of spider it was, would you? And how long ago did she eat it?
Even is she had ingested a black widow spider, it shouldn't be a problem since the stomach enzymes will inactivate the venom. If it was a brown recluse and it bit her mouth before she swallowed it , it could cause her some major problems but you might not know about it for several days afterwards.
Most spiders that dogs will eat (and mine have done the same thing) will not cause any issues at all.
If she ate a black widow and it bit her tongue or part of her mouth, you might see signs within 8 hrs.--swelling of the tongue, numbness, drooling, panting, restlessness...but dogs seem to be less sensitive to this spider.
There may be something wrong with the chat function so I am changing to the question and answer format; I can't see your responses.
I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information. What happens now? If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Thanks for your help. Just learning how to work this site, so hopefully you receive this. You were very helpful..
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX receive your message. I'm glad I could help. Hope you have a nice day and that Layla stays out of trouble:)....well, we can always hope, I guess:)