My dog just ate some avocado pieces from a burrito. He is a pitbull mixed with a bulldog, and i wanted to know if he will be fine?
Type of Animal: Pit Bull Mixed with Bulldog
Age: 1 year
Name of Animal: Tiger
Giving him milk so that he will defecate faster and get the food out of his system
Hi there -- Welcome to Just Answer. There are differing opinions on the toxicity of avocado fruit, leaves, bark, etc. So it can be very confusing. Some veterinary sources will list them as non-toxic and others will mention that they can be toxic to dogs. It appears that mild exposures of smaller amounts, limited amounts of vomiting and diarrhea may occur. This is typically mild and self correcting. With very large amounts there are reports of heart issues developing. These reports are in question. This level of toxicity should not be a problem with the level of exposure you are describing in this size dog. SO you may expect to see vomiting within 6 hours after ingestion if there had been enough eaten. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspxThis is a link to the ASPCA poison control center information -- for verification of the information provided. If you need further information -- I will be happy to assist you.
Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
Hi Rafael xxx, I'm just following up on our conversation about Tiger. How is everything going? Dr. BJ Hughes41097.3566851852