petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

What is a shelf-life of prednisone?

What is a shelf-life of prednisone?

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to provide answers your questions.

I am not sure if you are referring to a tablet or a liquid formula, but it really doesn't matter. Shelf life or expiration dates are determined by the manufacturer and there is a huge range of variance. In general, tablet type forms would have a longer shelf life than most liquid forms, especially if compounded further into solution for flavoring for example. But, depending on how long it set on the shelf before you got it is a factor also. Without an expiration date listed on the bottle, there is no way to say how long the product would be expected to be effective.

That being said, most products do not "go bad". There may be exceptions with some liquid products, where there may be a concern for bacteria or rancidity. In most cases, if a tablet is beyond it's shelf life, it would not be any more harmful than the original product, but may be less effective than before it expired.

I hope this is helpful. If you would like any additional information or have additional questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to rate my answer, but only if you are satisfied with my service. If you feel my service is not worthy of a 3 or above, and was either "Poor Service" or Bad Service" it will be registered as negative feedback for me. If that is not what you intend, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. Let me know how I can improve my service and I will be happy to try to provide you with what you are seeking. I am only credited for my work when you are happy with the service you receive.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wow, what a thorough answer!

Our product are tablets, issued to us by a vet last year. I am keeping it around for an emergency purposes. So it sounds it should be still good?

If they dispensed with a label, there should be an expiration date on it. Some clinics automatically list the expiration for one year from when it is dispensed, even if the stock bottle shows a longer date until it expires.

I personally have used products that are beyond the expiration date, in a pinch, so if an emergency occurred, using an expired product would not be a major problem until you could get your pet into see your vet, and as long as you were instructed how to use that particular product for that pet in the past.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasmine. How is everything going?

Dr Z
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr. Z,

thank you for the follow up! Everything is going quite well, never needed to touch the prednisone :-)