Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years as a small animal veterinarian in a clinical practice and a skin and ear clinic
1348006

Type your Dog Veterinary question here we have a long smooth

Type your Dog Veterinary question here
we have a long smooth hair dachshund. I have noticed that he has a strong musky smell if he goes a couple of days without a bath. how can I take care of this without bathing him constantly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a skin and ear vet for 33 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Doggie odor is most often a combination of excessive secretion of skin oils (seborrhea) being broken down by the bacteria and/or yeasts that live on the skin. The breakdown of the oils causes things called volatile fatty acids to form, which have a rancid odor to them.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

The best way to habdle this is to use a special anti-seborrheic shampoo twice a week to degrease the dog. Then Use either an antibiotic or an anti-yeast medication or both as prescribed by your vet.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Many of these seborrheic dogs are that way because of allergic skin disease bringing more blood to the skin oil glands. So treating the allergies will sometimes reduce the oily secretion on the skin.

Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 4 years ago.
Hi yolanda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Travis. How is everything going?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf