CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dogs paws are swollen red and irritated between toes....shes

my dogs paws are swollen red and irritated between toes....she's licking a lot. any home remedies...? I've been told it is yeast....I've changed diet many times. Any meds or creams, or shampoos recommended??? Shi-tsu mix..so the long hair on her feet doesn't help. groomer does poodle feet but problem remains.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

weight: normal;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;text-decoration: none;">Common reasons for the signs you report would include:

- Infection of the paw (pododermatitis - LINK HERE)
- Allergies

For cases such as this, you can also see if there is an antibacterial shampoo (EXAMPLE HERE) that can be used on the affected area. You can dip the paw in the shampoo and warm water for 10-15 minutes twice daily.

If there is not an antibacterial shampoo you can use, then you can try another great alternative - a warm water / epsom salt foot bath (LINK HERE).

If your dog is licking at the area - an E-collar (EXAMPLE HERE) from your local pet store would also be a good idea to prevent further licking and irritation.

Finally - also from your local pet store you can purchase a protective boot for him to wear. A company that makes a great product is the MediPaw protective boot company. - EXAMPLE HERE

If this does not help - there are times when there can be a primary bacterial infection and seeing your veterinarian for examination and possibly antibiotics would then be a good idea.

Moreover, to help with the irritation, often in these cases we consider treatments Benadryl (LINK HERE).

This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist