Dr Z
Dr Z, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

my dachshund has little dry skin bumps on is back. What do

Customer Question

my dachshund has little dry skin bumps on is back. What do I do about it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Z replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to provide answers your questions but have a few questions to allow me to better assist you.

Is Max scratching at the bumps?

Is he losing hair in the area?

How long have they been present?

Did the benedryl help at all? What dose did you use? What does he weigh?

Is Max on a flea prevention type product?

Thanks and I will respond further when you reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No,No,week,No,25mg twice a day,28#,Yes
Expert:  Dr Z replied 2 years ago.

It is really difficult to determine the cause of the bumps without examining him as there are various things that can lead to them. Superficial skin infections caused by either bacterial or yeast organisms are a common cause, and they may or may not lead to itching. Dogs that are allergic to things in the environment (like molds, pollens, etc) can develop bumps on the skin, but these are almost always itchy. The benedryl would most likely only help to resolve them if they were due to allergic dermatitis, and even then, antihistamines don't always work. The dose you gave him was on the lower end however and you could easily double what you gave him (up to 50 mg twice a day). With a concurrent itch factor though, I am not too convinced these bumps are related to an allergy.

Some dogs will get plugged hair follicles or comedones and that can lead to a "bump". Of course, there are also skin masses that can grow anywhere on a dog's body, but I would be surprised to see them all occur so acutely over the past week.

Without knowing the cause, it is hard to say what would help, but there are a few things that might that certainly won't hurt. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. Bathing with appropriate veterinary shampoos will not dry out the skin and follow up with a humectant like Humilac® to protect skin moisture: Humilac There is also a "leave-on" product called Resi-chlor® with similar ingredients that can be used to decrease bacteria and yeast in between shampoos.

Adding an omega 3 fish oil may help, especially if her skin is dry. There are literally hundreds on the market. The active ingredient of fish oil for humans and for dogs is EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid). The dose recommendations are 180mg EPA and 120 mg DHA per 10 lbs body weight daily.

There is a large range of safety and it doesn't have to be that amount exactly but this gives you some guidelines. You just want to make sure you are seeing those on the label as an ingredient and not just the words "fish oil" as these are the important part of the fish oil and not all fish oil capsules have them in it, especially the cheaper ones.

If the above suggestions are not helping or if the skin condition is getting worse, it would be advisable to have her examined by your veterinarian. I hope this is helpful. If you would like any additional information or have additional questions please don't hesitate to ask!

___________________________________

Please remember to rate my answer, but only if you are satisfied with my service. If you feel my service is not worthy of a 3 or above, and was either "Poor Service" or Bad Service" it will be registered as negative feedback for me. If that is not what you intend, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. Let me know how I can improve my service and I will be happy to try to provide you with what you are seeking. I am only credited for my work when you are happy with the service you receive.

Dr Z, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
Expert:  Dr Z replied 2 years ago.
Hi Earl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about max. How is everything going?

Dr Z
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He seems to be doing fine. Increase the benedryl to 50 twice a day and giving him fish oil along with this dynovite and he seems to have inproved.

Thank You

Expert:  Dr Z replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the follow up report. I am glad he is feeling better.

If you have any questions in the future that I may help you with, ask for Dr Z in the question title or see my profile to request me. You can save my profile to your browser favorites with this link: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-0drz-4/