Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

my dog is peeing every 10-30 minutes... whats wrong?

my dog is peeing every 10-30 minutes... what's wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question,

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I would say that from the symptoms you describe what you are dealing with is possibly a urinary tract infection { UTI } also called cystitis. If this is the case although it is uncomfortable for your dog it is rarely a serious situation.

If this is a UTI then there is little you can do on the short term apart from encouraging him to drink more, then seeing your vet as soon as it can be arranged is the way to go as prescription drugs normally sort things out quickly. While there are home remedies such as cranberry juice they are not so effective as antibiotics and would take a few days to even start to exert an effect.

The signs of a UTI which is a bladder infection in the dog would be some or all of the following :

1. Increased frequency of urination.

2. Discomfort or problems passing urine, typically the dog can only pass small amounts.

3. The urine may be blood tinged or discoloured.

A word of warning though, UTIs are very much rarer in male dogs than female dogs so they should be seen promptly and treated thoroughly, you see other diagnosis are possible such as stones in the bladder or crystals in the urine for example. The fact your dog is eating less is a further cause for concern when added to the other symptoms.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Scott,

He's increased urination output is large, and almost colorless. I can't describe the odor because of my own allergies.

Since I am on vacation and the location is remote, I am not familiar w/local vets.

Simon was recently on a course of Cephalexin for a skin rash. I understand taking abx can bring uti's on.... is this correct? Do you suggest I tvl home? He's literally lifting his leg everywhere....

I'm worried about mouse poison in the rental property, although none seems to be disturbed.

Hello again,

I see you have rated my answer as " Helped a little " which tells me you are not 100% happy with my answer so I am more than happy to carry on the dialog to make things clearer ...

1. It is possible for an antibiotic to precipitate a UTI in the dog but I have to say my experience of Cephalexin is that I have never known it to happen with this particular antibiotic and this effect is in fact rare in dogs in general no matter what antibiotic is used.

2. With a large volume urine problem such as you describe you would also consider things like kidney failure or diabetes but this group of diseases will often cause excess drinking which he is not doing other than the lake water.

3. Mouse poison would rarely cause excess urination as a sole symptom, with many rodent poisonings you will see heaemorrhage of the mucous membranes in the mouth and eye as a first sign but poisoning in general is a consideration so this I am afraid is another reason you should have a vet check him over as antidotes are available.

At this stage there is not much to be gained by traveling home, you could see a local vet first just in case this is something simple ...

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.