Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

border collie: has been throwing up and

My dog is a 3 yr old border collie and has been throwing up and coughing for a couple of hours now her energy seem to be good. the throwup has bile in it like what we call dry heaves.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt -I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Is she able to hold down any water?

Is Sabakkah bringing up food or water when she vomits?

Is she having any trouble breathing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she still has an appitite so eats and drinks does throw up the food

no trouble with her breathing and she is still very full of energy

Thanks for the additional information.

Based on what your are describing Sabakkah sounds like she has some type of disorder that has caused quite a bit of inflammation in her stomach and intestines. Here are some of the most common causes of vomiting in dogs:

- Eating something out of the ordinary that did not sit well in the stomach
- Eating something toxic or something that is not digestible and is stuck in the stomach or intestines
- Kidney or liver disease
- Pancreatitis or inflammation of her pancreas
- A viral or bacterial infection in her body

Since she is holding down water and does seem to have normal amounts of energy, I do not think that you need to rush her to a vet today though is she does not hold down water and starts to act very lethargic I would then consider taking her to a vet right away.

Here are some suggestions for home treatment if you would like to try to help her at home:

I would hold off of food for at least 8 hours to allow her stomach some time to settle down. You can continue to give her water free choice.

You can also give some pepcid AC to help with the stomach discomfort. This is very safe and virtually has no side effects. I would give her 5 mg for every 25 pounds of weight every 24 hours. This medication usually comes in 10 mg per tablet. You can get this medication from a local drug or grocery store over the counter.

After 8 hours if she is not vomiting and feeling better you can feed her. I would recommend feeding her a bland diet to help with the vomiting/diarrhea. My recommendation would be to feed some boiled ground beef or boiled chicken breasts with cooked rice. Two parts rice to one part meat. Feed this until she is back to normal. This is very easy for her to digest and should help reduce inflammation in the stomach/intestines.

Hope this helps -please feel free to reply if you have any other questions. If you are satisfied with my answer please do not hesitate to click on the "great service" button as this will compensate me for my time. Thank you in advance!

Hi John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sabakkah. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sunday afternoon she stopped throwing up and the pepcid seemed to really help. she is still coughing but seems like she is on the mend now.

Thanks again

Great to hear John! Thanks for following up.