Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Our 3 month golden retriever has a bump on her head, she looks

Our 3 month golden retriever has a bump on her head, she looks like a cone head, what are the causes of this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Did you just notice this today?

Is the bump the same color as the rest of her skin?

Does it bother her if you press on it?

What size is it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We found the bump 3 days ago, it came out of nowhere. It's the same color as the rest of her skin, and doesn't bother her when touched. The size is 1/2 inch high by 3/4 diameter. It is a little bit to the back of her head. We don't know if it was bumped on something, she is acting normal, playful, and hasn't changed in 3 days.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Thank you,

If it were a skin infection, or a bug bite/sting, the surrounding skin would be red. So it is good that it is the same color as the rest of her skin.

If it were an abscess, or pocket of infection, then it would feel warmer than the rest of her skin and painful to the touch.

It sounds like she has had trauma to that area. She hit her head on something.

Another good thing is Daisy is only 3 months old. So we really do not need to worry about cancer or tumors.

Most likely the bump will take 2-3 weeks to go away completely.

You can try to assist this process by applying over the counter hydrocortisone spray, or cream, three times a day. Hopefully this will help shrink the tissue more quickly.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply." Thank you : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We were doing some research earlier and we saw references to dogs having a cone head appearance, is this something you have heard about ? People were talking saying this is common in goldens. Do you know anything about this ?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.
It could be an occipital bone/bump which is part of the skull. It would feel like bone, rather than hard skin, when you feel it. The bump is just a large occipital bone rather than an abnormal bump. If the bump is in the skin, you should be able to move it a little. If it is part of the skull, you will not be able to move it at all. Many dogs have prominent occipital bumps. It is not a health concern. It may appear smaller as she grows and "fills out." Most likely it will improve. Both my dogs have prominent occipital bumps and it can be a weapon if you are bending over and it hits you in the nose or eye.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it is an occipital bone could the bump appear so quickly if she hit her head ? Because it wasn't there hours before.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

No, if it were the occipital bone, then it would not appear suddenly like that.

Since the occipital bone does stick out a little, she could have hit the occipital bone and now it is swollen.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great thanks for getting back to me, I feel better informed about her.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. I bet she is adorable even with her bump.
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.