Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.

My 7 year old mini dachshund has an enlarged heart and is on

Customer Question

My 7 year old mini dachshund has an enlarged heart and is on enalapril. I adopted him about 4 months ago and he already had been diagnosed. My vet checked him out and said he looks healthy and should be fine as long as he stays on medication. They said to keep an eye out for excessive coughing. He started coughing just a little yesterday so I went online to learn a little more and everything I read had much worse prognoses. The web is saying once diagnosed, they usually only have a few months to live. However, my vet didn't seem to think there was any cause for alarm when we were last there. Although the symptoms listed online are much more severe than anything my dog has experienced (he hasn't really shown any symptoms, just sleepy sometimes), he still does have the condition. Are there cases where dogs can actually live a long life unaffected by this? If he hasn't been showing symptoms regardless of when he was diagnosed, is there any cause for worry?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 4 years ago.
Hi There,

I am Dr. Denise and I am glad to assist you.

How lovely that you adopted an older dog. One with an infirmity is a real act of love. Once The heart is enlarged and heart failure has been diagnosed the longest most sources say that he will live is 2 years.

The medications are wonderful and if he has some fluid in his lungs as evidenced by a little cough then he needs to go on Lasix (furosemide). Also Pimobendan is recommended for congestive heart failure.

The most usual cause for an enlarged heart is degenerative valve disease. Here is a client education site for you on this condition.

Hi Allison,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oomlat. How is everything going?

Denise Colgrove