CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

I think my dog has something stuck in his throat. He keeps

I think my dog has something stuck in his throat. He keeps gulping, he is salavating a lot and will randomly cough to act as if to dislodge it. He also wants outside to keep eating weeds but he doesnt have an upset stomach. I am not letting him eat the weeds because I dont know if they are irritating his throat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) When did this behavior start?

2) Is he able to eat food and drink water and keep it down?

3) Was there something specific he was playing with or trying to eat, that is now missing?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I let him out this morning at about 4am to pee/poop. He didn't come right back in like he normally does. So, I looked for him and he was on the side of the house and looked as though he was chewing or eating something. I ran over to see what it was and he ran off. Later this morning he kept wanting outside and all he wanted to do it seemed was to eat the weeds. I dont know if he ever had anything or if it was the weeds. He can drink water, I am not sure if he has eaten yet. He hasnt puked or anything. My OTHER dog as been pooping green pudding. Dont know if its related.

The question in these cases:

1) Is something really stuck?

OR

2) Is this esophagitis or pharyngitis - something was ingested, caused irritation to the throat or esophagus, and now we are seeing the discomfort from this?

For an esophagitis, medications considered include:

- Sucralfate LINK HERE

- Famotidine (pepcid A/C)

With that said, ig he is not able to eat, pawing at the face, retching, and uncomfortable, ideally an x-ray is taken to rule out a true esophageal foreign body as that unfortunately can be serious.

weight: bold;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;text-decoration: none;">Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I try any of the medicines you listed in hopes that something just irritated his throat? I just saw him eat just fine. Are any of the medications over the counter? How much do I give him? Thanks
I noticed you gave me a negative rating.

As I listed above - please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. If you give a negative rating and do not reply, there is no way I know you are not satisfied.

Please let me know what you expected or what else I can do for you and I will do anything further in my ability to help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didnt see a reply button. I thought I had to give the rating to be able to respond to you. I looked up those medicines you suggested and they are all for upset stomach or ulcers etc. I dont know what this has to do with his throat possibly being irritated by something he swallowed etc...?

As listed above, if this is ESOPHAGITIS, irritation of the esophagus, those are common medications to consider.

Esophagitis is just that, irritation of the throat from something ingested that irritates the tissue lining.

Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE is over the counter (The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.)

Sucralfate, Zofran, and Cerenia are prescription only.

Positive
RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still unclear as to how/why I would give him something for an upset stomach if I think there might have been something ingested that he was either allergic to or irritated the back of his throat? He is still salavating a lot, gulps and will sort of cough once in a while. Is this common of esophagitis or pharyngitis? What are this symptoms most in line with?

Nothing here is for an upset stomach alone.

Antacids, sucralfate specifically are for protection of the important tissues against acid and ulceration.

Positive

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok...what about the last part of my question above? "He is still salavating a lot(continuing to drip from his mouth), gulps and will sort of cough once in a while. Is this common of esophagitis or pharyngitis? What are this symptoms most in line with?"...If I try pepcid ac, how quickly can I or should I see an improvement? Should I also give this to my OTHER dog for his green pudding poop?
Is this common of esophagitis or pharyngitis?

Yes - it is.

Unfortunately - as we discussed in our first conversation - this can be seen with esophagitis or pharyngitis as well as an esophageal foreign body.

The signs can improve within a few hours, but if not - an x-ray is considered.

Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

I'm just following up on our conversation about ruger. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet