Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of veterinary experience
36050890

My 80 lb Boxer ate an entire loaf of whole wheat bread. I

Customer Question

My 80 lb Boxer ate an entire loaf of whole wheat bread. I have given him 6x tbsp of hydrogen peroxide - no vomit. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you with this problem. Please let me start by saying I understand your worry and frustration. My dog is a countersurfer too.

Dr. Jo :

Can you please tell me your dog's name and how long ago did your dog eat the loaf of bread?

Customer:

LOL! He is Walter and the deed was about 2.5 hours ago.

Dr. Jo :

And you're completely certain he's acting just fine - not showing any signs of distress at all?

Customer:

At first he was drinking a lot of water and whining. That is when I gave him the peroxide. He ran around but did not foam at the mouth or vomit. Nw he is just lying on the floor taking a nap.

Customer:

I just called him over. He is acting just fine.

Dr. Jo :

That's good news! It sounds like he was pretty uncomfortable earlier, but feeling better now. If the bread and/or peroxide were going to cause a problem, I would have expected it to by now. I would recommend against giving Walter any more hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. It is quite possible he will be able to manage eating this entire loaf of bread just fine.

Dr. Jo :

Let me tell you what to watch for ...

Dr. Jo :

If Walter is having he trouble, he will do any of the following things:

Dr. Jo :

1. Vomit

2. Make unproductive attempts at vomiting, like dry heaving

Dr. Jo :

3. Pace, stand up, lie down, act really uncomfortable.

4. Look bloated in the belly (often doesn't happen on a deep chested dog like a boxer, however)

Dr. Jo :

5. Show labored breathing

6. Develop pale pink or even grey mucous membranes, as opposed to his usual pink coloration on his gums.

Dr. Jo :

The above signs can indicate a very serious problem called a gastric torsion, or GDV - commonly called bloat.

No one knows what causes it for sure, but it happens in deep-chested dogs and is an EMERGENCY. One of the things that has been blamed as a cause is exercise after a large meal. Because of that, avoid running and playing for the rest of the day.

Dr. Jo :

Other than that, offer him all the water he wants, as long as he is not vomiting.

Customer:

Ok.

Dr. Jo :

But as long as he is acting just fine, you don't need to worry.

Dr. Jo :

It would probably also be a good idea to skip supper. ;-)

Customer:

That is a relief. I spoke with a vet-tech at our vet's office (she told me to induce vomiting, which I attempted) and she said that if that did not work to bring him in to have his stomach pumped...

Customer:

I did not like the idea of that unless it was absolutely necessary...

Dr. Jo :

Everyone handles things differently, and this is the advice I would give if Walter were my patient. Additionally, my dog ate an entire loaf of white bread day before yesterday. I can think of no reason to intervene until there is a problem, as long as you are ready to act quickly if a problem arises.

Dr. Jo :

Oh--- and my dog is fine. :-)

Dr. Jo :

75# XXXXX retriever

Customer:

No problem there, and the vet is open late tonight, so that is good.

Customer:

Thank you for the piece of mind, well worth $18!

Dr. Jo :

Good. I think it sounds like you're handling everything just fine. Personally, I wouldn't even have induced vomiting. If the bread were to make him sick, what's the first thing he would do? Vomit.

Customer:

You get a big smiley face from me!

Dr. Jo :

Thank you. I'm happy to help. Please remember you can always post more to this thread, even after you've clicked ACCEPT.

Customer:

This dog didn't even get foamy at the mouth with the peroxide, so it must take a lot to make him vomit!

Customer:

Thanks and bye...

Dr. Jo :

Agreed. Some dogs have really sensitive stomachs and some have guts of steel. Have a great day!

Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 17 years of veterinary experience
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Walter. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything is fine. Thanks for your peace of mind
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm so glad to hear Walter did well. Fantastic!