Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dogs paw is swollen between the toes. I see no cuts or

My dog's paw is swollen between the toes. I see no cuts or abrasions between the toes or on the pads underneath. No reddening, bleeding or pus has occurred yet, just a big swollen piece of skin between her toes.

She is an overweight Dachshund and I suspect her weight problems may have something to do with it, but could this inflammation be allergy based as well? She has been licking her paw now for 3 days.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- The swelling is only in one paw, right?
2- How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The swelling is just on one paw.

She has had a chronic history of this right front paw bothering her before. If I have not walked her in a while and then start to again, her paw starts bothering her again. But I have never seen her paw get this swollen before.

If the swelling happen quickly it is most like secondary to an inflammatory process like a localized infection, an insect sting, cyst, etc. Her licking will also promote inflammation and contribute to the swelling. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or it is not going to get better. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Soaking with Epsom salt is a great idea. In this case however, I would recommend you pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap. Wash affected area with this soap 2-3 times a day. Or, dilute 1-2 tablespoon of hibiclens for every cup of water and soak paw 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes; this is an excellent antimicrobial just in case if this is related to an infection.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days, follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Hi Mark,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tootsie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Her paw is getting better. I went and did everything you said to do and the swelling has subsided. Thank you for taking the time to check back on her. Never saw a vet do that before! Thanks for caring.

I am glad she is doing better. Good Job!

Your Welcome.

Dr. Peter