Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.
23926829

My dog is panting heavily with her tongue hanging way out,

My dog is panting heavily with her tongue hanging way out, and she is shaking and lifting up different paws and favouring them at different times. This started about 1 week ago, intermittently, but now it's really intensified. We took her in to the vet, but she hasn't had any blood work done yet. They did give her a pain reliever (metacam oral) and she just had some about a 1/2 hour ago, but now she seems quite distressed.

She's a 2 year old Havanese who's had a puppy (last year) and is now spayed. Her name isXXXXX help you could give would be greatly appreciated. We live in a remote community in the Canadian Yukon, and don't have easy access to vets.

Thanks,
Ken Symanski

Dr. Jenn :

Hi there

Dr. Jenn :

She sounds like she is in discomfort. Are her tongue and gums pink?

Dr. Jenn :

Did the vet listen to her heart and lungs while there?

Customer:

Yes, they are pink, but as opposed to what colour? Yes, her heart and lungs were fine.

Dr. Jenn :

pink is good-just needed to be sure she was getting enough oxygen. The heavy breathing is more than likely associated with discomfort. Usually Metacam works wonders for pain-so I am concerned there is another underlying medical condition going on internally. She really needs further diagnostics like blood work and even a xray so we can take a look on the "inside!" How far is the nearest emergency clinic in your area? I would rather her be seen tonight. From what you are describing-I do not feel comfortable telling you that waiting until the morning is fine!

Customer:

The nearest vet is 1.5 hours away - we were wondering if we should wait until tomorrow, or do an emergency visit. Her tongue actually has a bit of a purplish tinge to it - anything else you could let us know?

Dr. Jenn :

If her tongue looks a bit purple-I would take her in tonight, it would be worth the drive! I would rather be safe than sorry!

Customer:

OK, we'll take her in. Thanks for the help.

Dr. Jenn :

Good luck!!

Dr. Jenn :

I hope she feels better!

Hi Ken,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mindy. How is everything going?

Dr. Jenn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Curiously, as soon as my wife left our home with her, she started settling right down. She hasn't reacted since, in the same way. We have a theory, although it's an odd one - she seems to be really bothered when we start our new dishwasher. It was on when she was distressed, and we haven't had it on with her around since. Tonight we're going to experiment and try the dishwasher with her in the room and see if that is, in fact, the problem.

Cheers,
Ken
Interesting!!! You'll have to let me know if this behavior is stress induced!