Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .
60411192

My 14-yr-old Dachshund has a small, pink, soft, cyst-like bump

Customer Question

My 14-yr-old Dachshund has a small, pink, soft, cyst-like bump on the side of her lower lip. Might be tender. What could this be? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

vetdeb :

Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

vetdeb :

Older dogs develop all sorts of lumps and bumps as they age and without actually visualizing it, I can only speculate but what you describing sounds very much like a wart or possibly skin tag, depending on the size or it. Can you give me an approximate size?

vetdeb :

Skin tags and warts are pretty small.

vetdeb :

Dogs can develop cysts but they are usually not pink, are covered in hair, not tender to the touch and are underneath the skin. They feel firm to the touch. Lipomas are fatty lumps similar to cysts but feel softer. Both are not usually firmly attached and freely move around but this may sometimes depend on where they are located. There is not a lot of extra skin around the lip area.

vetdeb :

And, I am assuming that the lump is on the outside of her mouth, not the inside, right? If it's on the inside, there are other possible explanations which I can also provide.

Customer:

It is very round, light pink and about the size of the ball on a colored sewing pin. I have to pull down the side of her lip just a little to visualize it. So I'd say it is on the inside of the lower lip on the side of her mouth. A bit of the surrounding tissue is also light pink. The lips themselves are black, and of course the undersides are pink. This "cyst-like" bump in in the pink tissue just inside the lip, but appears lighter than the regular tissue.

vetdeb :

Has Heidi been around any other dogs recently? Does she go to doggy day care, the groomers, boarding...anything like that?

vetdeb :

I'm going to send you a link about viral papillomas; there are some pictures of these and see if you think Heidi's lump looks like them:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=465

vetdeb :

More pictures; http://www.caninepapillomavirus.com/canine-papilloma-photos/

Customer:

She is a stay-at-home (ha!) dog. None of those photos look like what she has. Her bump is very smooth and very round. The only symptom she seems to have is not wanting to eat as much.

Customer:

Could this be some sort of benign mucosal lesion?

vetdeb :

It could be. Another possibility is something called an epulis....smooth, raised, often associated with a tooth but can be on the gingival tissue as well. Let me see if I can find a picture of one.

vetdeb :

Not sure if this is a good pic or not. These are totally benign lesions, by the way.http://petdogbreeds-pics-and-information.blogspot.com/2009/02/epulis-mouthoral-tumor-in-dogs.html

vetdeb :

Dogs can get oral cancer, as well. It would be really hard for me to tell whether this is what's going on without actually seeing it.

vetdeb :

The best way to figure out what this is would be to have her seen, obviously. Not all oral lumps and bumps are bad; just like not all skin lumps and bumps are bad but I worry more about the ones in the mouth in a 14 year old dog than ones on her skin.

Customer:

I looked at the pictures and none seem to be what she has. I will watch it for this week, and if it hasn't gone away I will have her seen by our vet. Thank you so much for your input. Appreciate it!

vetdeb :

You're welcome. Hopefully, nothing too serious.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that you felt my responses just "helped a little" which confuses me since you asked what the lump on Heidi's lip could be and I provided you with multiple possible explanations. Skin is one of those "organs" that is difficult to know what the problem definitely is without actually visualizing it so internet conversations have their limitations.
I don't receive compensation for my responses unless you select at least "got the job done" so I would hope that you would reconsider. Thanks.
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a small animal veterinarian for 25 years .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Deb,

You are right, without actually seeing the lesion, it is hard to "guess" what it is. I was pleased with your prompt service. I felt that I was very descriptive about the lesion, but in the end we still couldn't find a possible answer. That is not your fault, as it could be a number of things and without actually seeing it, it is only one's guess.

I wasn't able to be on the computer after our chat, and that is why it took me so long to reply. I will change my rating so that you get credit because you did take the time to look for an answer, and that should count.

Thank you again for your help.

Mary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Mary:
I appreciate your taking the time to reconsider your rating and to let me know your reasoning behind it. Thank you.
If I can ever help you again, please let me know:) Dr. Deb