Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

My dog is peeing everywhere, and all over the place, Its not

Customer Question

My dog is peeing everywhere, and all over the place, It's not from excitement, I know that for a Fact, I took my dog too the Emergency dog clinic earlier this evening, They gave him a couple shots, one shot was benadryl i do believe, And the other shot was for something that i can't really remember what it was for, But the reason i took my dog too the vet tonight, was because his tounge got really swollen, then i stuck my hand down his throat because he was acting like something was caught in his throat or something, So when i stuck my hand down there it felt like something hard was in there, but could get it out, i just pushed the hard object down the dogs throat, His tounge started swelling down, and the foaming out of his mouth stopped somewhat untill we got too the vet in terre haute indiana, Ever since he has gotten back home, if i even come near his back legs or even try an pet him anywhere as a matter of fact, he will start peeing everything, He was never done this before, "EVER", I want answers why my puppy is doing this, I don't know why, I hope it's because of the medicine that they gave him, Or if something is honestly wrong with my dog! Please help me out in the best way possible!!! Thank you! This is "URGENT"!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer!

I hope I can help with your question and do message me if you have any queries regarding my answer/advice.

Can I just ask first of all

1. Is he breathing OK? not choking?
2. Has he eaten or drunk?
3. Has he been sick?
4. Is he bright and alert otherwise?
5. Are his gums salmon pink?
6. Is there blood in his urine?
7. Is he walking around OK?

Thank you for answering these, they will help me with your concerns

Regards

Dr Dan Makin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is breathing alright, And not choking, And yes his Gums are salmon pink, he was drank a lot of water in the past 2 hours since he's been doing this urinating, He has ate since he's been doing this, No he hasn't been sick at all since this has accured, he is bright and alert, he was trying too play a few minutes ago but i could even get my hands on him without him peeing everywhere, There is no blood in his urine and yes he is walking around okay.. Please message me back "ASAP" Sir, Thank You! He is currently asleep at the moment though.. ??

Thank you so much for that, it really helps.

So certainly from your description there doesn't appear to be anything life threatening or critical going on with him and I would be comfortable with you simply monitoring him, especially as he is now asleep.

Benadryl is an antihistamine and is sometimes given for allergies or swelling (such as with his tongue) it is also mildly sedative, which is good as it will allow him to relax.

My gut feeling is the excessive urination will be anxiety/stress related. He has been through an awful lot over the last few hours and given his age and breed I suspect the urination was done as a nervous response to an anticipated examination/injection look at his tongue. Especially as it only occurs when he is approached. It will also not be helped by the large volume of water that has been drunk. Certainly if one of the other injections was a corticosteroid (often given with tongue or throat swelling) a side effect of this drug is increased thirst and a complimentary increase in urination.

The most important thing is that he is breathing OK and his airways seem normal. So regarding the throat and tongue issues hopefully that is behind him now.

I would leave him to sleep and I expect the urination will settle by the morning.

The most important thing when we are concerned about urinary tract emergencies is that the urine is coming out! which it clearly is. So if you see him straining to urinate and nothing comes out then that would be a indication to get him seen by a vet. The same goes for any developing issues with his breathing (cough, choke, blueness to gums, wretching, panting heavily or collapse).

I am sure he is going to be fine and once he has had a good sleep, the medications have worn off and he is relaxed he will have put the traumatic episode of the night behind him.

If you have any doubts, concerns or anxieties then you must seek veterinary attention as that is what they are there for and there is a lot to be said for owner peace of mind. At present though, I do feel he is settled and is going to be OK and that the urination is behavioural as well as worsened by an increased thirst and hopefully only episodic i.e. tomorrow he will be better.

Good luck and best wishes

Kind regards