Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
Let me ask a few questions so that I can have a better understanding of the lump you've discovered.
Does you cat go outside? Is he still eating and drinking and is so, does he drool at all when he does?
Can you help me understand where on his chin it is located? Off to the one side or another...in the front of his face?
Does it feel soft or hard?
And, can you estimate the size of it?
hello yes he does go outside, only in the back garden though, he is quiet lazy. He is still eating and I assume he is drinking because he is still using his tray (to wee in). He is drooling and keeps sticking his tounge out. The lump is under the chin (above the neck line), very slightly to the left, it is hard, and I'd say approx about 1 cm in diameter.
OK...this may be one of those situations where if I saw this lump, I would know immediately what it was but since I can't....
It could be one of his teeth; it might help if he would let you look in his mouth to see if you see anything unusual in there...like a foreign piece of material (more common in dogs, but still possible), or a mass of some sort, or blood/pus.
The lump could also be an enlarged lymph node that is draining some infectious process from his mouth.
It could also be an abscess just all by itself; he could have gotten injured when he was outside--another cat might have attacked him. If the skin/fur is smooth over it and there is not evidence of a puncture or bite wound or matted fur, then this is less likely.
The fact that he is drooling and sticking his tongue out (uncommon behavior in a cat) suggests that something is going on in his mouth.
If he has an infected tooth, though, you might not be easily able to tell this.
I must admit he only has 2 or 3 back teeth left (and his fangs) and my vet did say that they would eventually need taking out because his gums are so bad. He went to the vets about a month ago for his booster and I asked the vet if his teeth should come out now (he has really bad breath!) but he said to wait until they are ready? We only noticed the lump tonight and I did say to my hubby that it was proberly his teeth and that he might have an abcess, but we are both still worried about it, if I thought a vets would be open tomorrow I wouldn't be as worried but because we have to wait until monday it makes us worry that he might be in pain :(
I absolutely understand. Unfortunately, I wouldn't feel comfortable advising you to give him anything over the counter; cats are so sensitive to so many drugs and it might cause more harm than good. If he is still eating though, then he can't be that uncomfortable. I might advise you to feed him soft, canned food though, just in case it is one of his remaining teeth. It will be easier to eat that way and he won't inadvertently hurt the tooth if he eats the dry kibble.
The problem with his mouth is called stomatitis; I suspect this is what your vet was talking about. And, I agree with him/her: I don't usually advise removal of all the teeth until the gingivitis gets so bad that the cats stop eating or they are really bothered by the condition.
ok, thanks for your help, if it is a bad abcesse will he be ok until monday until we can see the vet? If not I can call him out?
If you thought he would let you, you could take his temperature to see if he's running fever...not always easy in a cat:) But usually they are lethargic, not eating as much, just laying around. I can talk you through the temp taking if you think you'd want to try it.
He didn't say what the condition was called, he just said gingivitis (we live in Cyprus so sometimes the language can be a barrier)), I must admit I did think it was odd that he said the teeth were not ready to be taken out
If his temp is high, then you might want to have him seen sooner rather than wait until Monday.
We don't like to remove teeth without a reason and often wait until the cats are having a difficult time before removing all of them....very much depends on the individual vet, though.
humm, I can have a good guess what you want me to do? Everytime he goes to the vets he has his temp taken, can I assume that it'll be the same?
haha, I'll do it in a mo, what should the readings be between??
Cats have a very tight sphincter...so gently but firmly push it in about 1 inch and wait about 1 minute (unless it's the digital kind and it will beep when it's done). Normal is between 100 and 102.5
Lubricate it first; that will help.
what can you lub it with??? Sorry but I don't have ky gel hanging around the house
A little bit of corn oil or olive oil won't hurt then if you don't have any k/y.
right off to get the cat! Wish me luck!
sorry about this
I do wish you luck... You'll do fine and hopefully your kitty will be ok too. Not sure what you are apologizing for....things happen and they frequently happen on the weekends or usually right before you plan to go on vacation:)
hello, he was not very happy with me but it read 39? I don't know what the conversion is?
Let me see if I can work that out...give me a minute.
That would be 102.2 degrees, farenheit. I consider that normal.
ok, so he should be ok until monday when the vets is open. Thats good then, I'm sure he will eventually get over what I just did to him! Thanks for your help
I'm sure he will forgive you...in time:) I think you are safe to wait especially since he is still eating.
I'm glad I could help.
If you have a minute after the vet visit, let me know what the vet thought it was. I'm really curious to know.
Just respond to this thread/conversation/post.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you enjoy the rest of your weekend :) and yes I'll let you know what the vet says, I have a feeling that his last back teeth will get pulled
You have a good weekend as well. I'll appreciate the update.