Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.

my dog keeps going through periods of shaking panting and trying

Customer Question

my dog keeps going through periods of shaking panting and trying to hide . no temp, 101.5, female 4 year old toy poodle just started this morning. I'm scared and can't afford vet bill
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jay Mawhinney replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry about your dog's problem. Without an thorough exam and medical work up to look for spinal pain, abdominal pain sources or other causes of anxiety I can only suggest. It is important to keep her quiet and absolutely no jumping on or off furniture and no climbing stairs. Limit walks to just go to the bathroom and back in for several days. it may very well be pain from intervertebral disc problems but could be even a digestive upset at this point. It doesn't sound like seizures from your description. Hopefully if a minor disc herniation it will settle on its own and spasms/pain will stop happening. Good luck and if problems continue try to find a way to get to a veterinarian for an exam and medical work up.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
why do u think spinal pain?, she has not yelped or acted in pain, she has ate a treat and drank a little water, she did throw up the treat an hour later and then played with my other dogs. then a loud noise happened and she started the same symptoms again and now is just laying on my lap quietly.
Please keep her quiet. You may still be dealing with spinal pain since she was symptomatic after playing with the dogs and having a loud noise. She could be having spasms. If she vomits again however she may be dealing with stomach or pancreatic pain. She should not play with the other dogs for several days and no jumping. If vomiting re occurs then pull up food and water and offer only water after 2-3 hours and in small amounts tonight. Again if problems persist find a way to take her in and be treated after a work up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what would a reasonable work up be? so I know if I take her to vet. what are the signs of pancreatic problems in a dog? if she ate something wrong would all this be the same, I can't see that she did eat something wrong, no evidence, you can tell she does not feel well by laying around. pain is not evident. could it be anxiety? or would that be very different. I don't understand it being pain I guess because of it coming in such short spells. so I guess I'm curious about this pancreatic pain?
Signs of pancreatitis are anything from pain after eating to severe vomiting and diarrhea. A medical work up includes canine blood profile with a cPL snap or more accurately one sent to lab and lumbar and abdominal x rays after a thorough exam. More likely pain than anxiety because it seems to be occurring in spasms. Anxiety doesn't come and go like that. It is more likely spinal issue but pancreatitis can't be ruled out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so when she got scared that could have caused the spasming to start again? do u think she threw up from pain?would vet give medicines for pain? I just not sure if I should take her to vet for exam or let it run it's course? or is that a bad idea?
Yes the running around with the other dogs and the noise startling her both could set up spasms again and yes she could have possibly thrown up from pain. Especially if no more vomiting, but can't rule out other causes. Yes a veterinarian would do and exam and evaluation possible x rays and blood work and give appropriate treatment or if financially necessary at least symptomatic pain relief might be started. If it keeps happening try to take her in, if rest and restriction settle the problem then possibly you could see how she does.
I hope she is better.