Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian
22143564

Our shepherd is over 13yrs. She has had two operations for

Our shepherd is over 13yrs. She has had two operations for blockage in her nose, first got out tumor, second one did not retrieve much. She has since developed large nose bleeding and sneezing. She is spry and engaged and am not sure if another operation would be called for. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.

Dr. John :

Thank you for your question concerning Mika. Do you know what type of tumor was found in her nasal cavity?

Customer:

Vet said it was cancerours

Dr. John :

Okay - there are several types and depending on the type, the response is different to therapies such as chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation. So the type itself is important so that you can better know exactly what your options are moving forward. Nose bleeds indicates that the blood vessels are significantly disrupted in the nasal cavity and this disruption represents invasiveness - which definitely fits with a malignant type cancer.

Dr. John :

Do you know if a histopathology was performed on the tumor when it was removed?

Customer:

According to the paperwork it says Histology and Cytology on first. Rhinoscopy (Flexible Bronchoscope used) on second

Dr. John :

Okay, do you have the actual histology report?

Dr. John :

Or just the bill stating that it was done?

Customer:

Just the bill

Dr. John :

Okay, well it is definitely important that you get that information. From there, the best thing you can do is take Mika to an oncologist. The bleeding will worsen if nothing is done and is certainly a negative effect on her quality of life (not to mention it can become life threatening if enough blood is lost through these frequent nose bleeds)

Dr. John :

An oncologist can go over her histopathology report and give you very accurate information on how this tumor will respond to chemotherapy, radiation, and possibly another surgery to help you make a decision from there on what you feel is best for Mika

Dr. John :

You will need an oncologist to administer any chemotherapy or perform any radiation, so I think it is your best next step

Customer:

Thank you for your input, I kind of thought this might be the case.

Dr. John :

As far as surgery, an oncologist may recommend her getting a CT scan to determine the exact extent and invasiveness of the tumor, which would determine how effective another debulking surgery may or may not be

Dr. John :

Has she had a CT scan up to this point?

Customer:

OK, didn't know it a CT Scan was available or might work

Dr. John :

Yes CT scans are pretty readily available for dogs now and are used primarily for imaging nasal and lung tumors in dogs and cats. It is of course expensive (as chemotherapy and radiation treatments can be as well), so you will have to see if it's something financially viable... At minimum, a consultation with an oncologist will get you much better informed as far as best course of action given her cancer type, various alternatives, cost of care, etc. So whether you do anything further or not in the way of treatment, at least you will feel entirely informed to make the best decision for your family and for Mika.

Dr. John :

Does this all make sense? Do you have any additional questions I can help with?

Customer:

No more questions. Thank you again for your input.

Experience: significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian