Dr. Michael Salkin, Big Island Vet
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 41 yrs. of experience.

Yorkie: pound..anal glands..scream and yelp and then cower and hide

Customer Question

Hi, my 4 month, 2 pound Yorkie had her anal glands squeezed yesterday and she had one bowel movement today. This bowel movement caused her to scream and yelp and then cower and hide. Since then she has lid in her bed and not moved. I wonder what could be wrong. She hasn't eaten any foreign objects. Please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Ouch! Can you tell me please why a 4 month old pup's anal glands were squeezed yesterday? I could imagine that procedure causing inflammation and then pain when stool passed through the anus. I don't expect Maggie's behavior to continue, however. Any trauma to the anal glands should heal rather quickly. Do you recall whether the glands were expressed rectally or from the outside? I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had mentioned to the vet she was dragging her bum across the floor. With this information he proceeded to drain the anal glands. As far as I could tell, mainly due to facing the puppy, I believe the vet squeezed them from the outside. He used a tissue. No rubber glove . Hope this helps.
He squeezed Maggie's anus particularly at the 5 and 7 o'clock position where the anal sac glands lie under the skin and apparently traumatized the area. That subsequent stool passed through an area of inflammation much like our passing stool past a hemorrhoid...and that's ouchy. I'd be very surprised if Maggie remained symptomatic for more than 24 hours.

The most common cause of "scooting" is anusitis...an itchy inflammation of the anus secondary to fecal soilage or allergies. Itchy rears are commonly seen in cases of inhalant and food allergies - both of which are possible but not likely in such a young dog. I believe that Maggie is a good example why we have to stop expressing anal glands as frequently as we do. I'll change my tune if the vet, upon expression of the glands, stated that they were impacted and/or infected. Do you recall the verdict?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not believe the anal glands were impacted. My reasoning for this belief is when they were squeezed he informed us that they were empty. Sometimes after a bowel movement fecal matter will have stuck to some hair back there. We do clean her but, I wonder if this would be reason why she would 'scoot' her bottom.
Thank you. Yes, fecal soilage is a very common reason for anusitis. Once cleaned, the anus can be coated with an over the counter hydrocortisone cream for immediate relief from itching. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If trauma to the anal glands was the reason for her yelping after she pooped. Would she continue to yelp throughout the night sporadically when she moved ( i.e., repositioning herself). She has been curled up in a ball resting since it happened 3 hours ago. It is very unlike her since she is a puppy. Is there anything that I can do for her to help her get through the next 24 hours? She hasn't eaten or drank anything since it happened (3 hours ago). Should we contact our vet immediately or do you think this is something that can wait until tomorrow? I am thinking it is due to the anal gland express but what if it is something else? For example something she ate? We don't have a 24/7 vet in our area.
It's reasonable to assume that a traumatized area can continue to hurt - particularly when it spasms. By the principle of Occam's Razor her anal glands should be incriminated in her behavior. After all, her yelping began when she passed stool. You needn't contact your vet at this time. There's no reason to believe that an emergency exists...although Maggie might think so! You've already told me that she hasn't eaten any foreign objects so I don't expect a gastrointestinal disorder to arise. The tincture of time should resolve her discomfort within 36 hours. There's nothing at home I would want you to treat with. I expect her appetite to return quite soon. You might alert her vet tomorrow about what you've seen but I wouldn't expect his recommending anything more than the tincture of time either.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Big Island Vet
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 41 yrs. of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'm going to contact you in a day for an update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!!!
Talk to you later!
How's Maggie doing today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is doing a little better thanks for asking and following up. She is however, very lethargic and spends most of the day lying down (very unlike her). The vet diagnosed her with a case of 'Pre-Madonna'. Then we called the breeder who told us to feed her little bits of boiled chicken breast and give her some lactolose. We have been doing that for the past couple of days and she has improved. She has had a couple bowel movements. I did notice her belly seems bloated. Its rounded instead of sunken. I think she may continue to be constipated. I'm unsure if I'll bring her to the vet tomorrow based upon the last response. Hopefully she passes some gas of has her bowel movements and returns to her former self. I hope it's nothing more serious.
Thank you. Maggie the prima donna? Aren't they supposed to be? Bloating in a 4 month old is more likely to be from gas (colic) than constipation. I don't expect anything serious in a young well-vaccinated and wormed dog. Boiled chicken breast (no skin) + rice is a nicely bland diet. Good luck on getting her to eat regular dog food after this! In any event, she's improving and I expect that she'll continue to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response and encouragement. We are trying to give her more water with her bowl but also using a syringe. How much water should a puppy this size be drinking/day? Would more water help relieve the gas problem. Hopefully she won't move to fillet mignon after.

Her total daily water requirement is ~60ml (4 tablespoons) some of which she obtains from her food. Water doesn't relieve gas. Belching, flatulence and defecating does, however. Perhaps we should consider worming her again. Do you know her worming history?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was given Revolution on April 21 and has not had any since. She was also given Panacur on April 15-19. I'm not sure what that is exactly. What would another worming do for her?
The combination of Revolution and Panacur (fenbendazole) is superb. The flea tapeworm, only, isn't addressed by those drugs but unless found in large numbers it's not likely the cause of her upset. I would simply maintain the monthly Revolution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I didn't realize that you are suppose to give them revolution once a month. If that is the case, she didn't receive her dose for May. Since this all happened , I have been checking her poop regularly and I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Other than it is a bit darker since she has been taking the lactulose. Again, I want to thank you for all of your help and guidance. We live in northern Canada where we only have one vet and as you can imagine he is quite busy.
Do u know how long it takes for lactulose to provide some relief in the form of a bowel movement? She looks in quite a bit of discomfort. I think I feed her too much chicken today. Plus she started eating her kibble at supper today also But hasn't given us a poop yet. Poor thing. I hope there is no underlying reason as to why this seem to have improved this morning and during the day and deteriorated after supper. What is the average time it takes for a digestive system to right itself again? How long would you wait before bringing her back to the vet for an anemia or something stronger to help relieve the pressure if she is presenting with the same symptoms?
Revolution is given once monthly as a heartworm preventative. It happens to also address roundworms and hookworms. It's expensive. If you're only interested in worming for roundworms and hookworms I'd use an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate. Lactulose is a bulk laxative that should work within 24 hours. There is no average time for GI upsets to right themselves. Remission times are predicated upon the etiology of the upset. I suspect that she's going to have a bowel movement before you need to have her seen again. Enemas shouldn't be given casually. Be patient with her. She ate really well today which tells me that she's not in any dire straits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your advice. I can sleep better tonight knowing that I at least have done everything that I can for her. Is it possible for you to check in with us again tomorrow?
You're quite welcome. I set a recheck for tomorrow promptly.
It's time for an update!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for checking in with us again. Today we reduced the dosage of lactolose to 1 ml three times a day. She seems to be improving. She is interested in her toys again. She is eating a combo of her kibble and boiled chicken breast. I'm not sure if I am allowing her to eat too much chicken and making the constipation worse. How much chicken should a 2 pound dog eat in a day. If she was not eating chicken and just kibble. How much kibble should I give her in a day? Perhaps I was giving her too much or not enough. Now that I give her at least 60 ml her pee is less yellow and almost clear. That is a good thing right?

She did poop today but it is smaller and not all in one piece like it normally is ( more like tiny pebbles all stuck together) so I'm assuming that we still need to encourage or force her to drink more?

Thanks again for your help.
Her kibble is nicely balanced. Chicken breast isn't. The bulk of her diet should be a balanced kibble and/or canned food and the chicken given sparingly as an incentive to eat or a treat for obeying a command - sit, come, stay, e.g. I rarely restrict a 4 month old's food. Once spayed, however, it's essential that calories are restricted to avoid the common post-neutering obesity. Don't overdo the lactulose. That bulk laxative can cause cramping. Statistically speaking, 4 month old dogs don't become constipated very often. The one poop today doesn't tell us much. There's far too much variability in normal poops to make sense out of one or two. You're quite welcome. Keep in touch.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Big Island Vet
Thank you once again for your kind words, accept and generosity. I appreciate it!