Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.
24683783

My dog has breathing problems like wheezing

Customer Question

My dog suddenly has shortness of breath wheezing and a cough. May have also had a seizure. Please help

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 2 years ago.
Hi There,

You are speaking with Dr. Denise and I am happy to assist with Max.

I do not think you are overreacting. Breathing problems can be life or death. Check Max's gums and make sure they are nice and pink. When he is resting count the number of times his chest rises in a minute and let me know. Has he been with any group of dogs in the past couple of weeks and is the cough a honking cough with a gag at the end?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes hee has been around other dogs but nothing out of the ordinary. A family member has a dog that has been around him but he has been around this dog many times since a puppy. As for breething it is much faster that usual and yes it does seem after coughing he is trying to clear his throat.
If he is breathing faster thean 33 breaths a minute and if his gums are pale or bluish that is an emergency.

Kennel cough can produce a honking cough with a gag at the end. Generally though there is no wheezing with that nor increased respiratory rate.

The safest thing would be to take him to your vet and have an examination and possibly a chest xray if the vet thinks that is necessary.

If it is Kennel Cough normally the vet will prescribe antibiotic and a cough suppressant.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He also had a seizure a few days ago after running around it was only once i didn't think it was a seizure I thought he just passed out for some reason, it has happened to me getting out of my recliner to fast) but my wife insists it was does this change your possible diagnosis at all. Also the cough is very infrequent the most prominent symptom is the shallow breathing and he just looks tired.
Thanks for the information. Yes that does change things because the seizure may have been a syncopal attack which is fainting and related to the heart. If he just sort of collapsed and then got up in a minute or less then it ws syncope. Your veterinarian would listen carefully to his chest and take a chest film to see what is going on. A thaoracic ultrasound would possible be the next step after that.
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience: Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You very much for all your help. I already have an appointment with his vet for this afternoon.
I can't thank you enough for all your help.
What you do for people and their pets is amazing and if random compliments/praise makes you smile then i hope you are in a good mood for the rest of the day :-)
We can't thank you Enough,
The Cleghorn Family
Thank you for you compliments they do mean a lot. I do have that smile.

Hope all will be well.