Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
55012488

My english bulldog has been vomiting for the last 2 days.

Customer Question

My english bulldog has been vomiting for the last 2 days. She is not eating, but is drinking water, and having normal bowel movements. I do not have pepto but I do have generic anti nausea medicine I use for my kids.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you please tell me whether or not Savannah had been well prior to the onset of her vomiting 2 days ago? Do you have any idea what might have brought her vomiting on - a new, inappropriate or spoiled food or ingestion of a non-food item? Thank you in advance for your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was completely normal, she only eats dog food and has been eating the same food that my other 2 dogs eat and they are fine. She only goes outside to use the bathroom and then she comes right back in.
Thank you. That's a bit worrisome, then. Cases such as I inquired about are considered "simple vomiting" that can be addressed by fasting and the tincture of time. At nine years of age, I'm willing to give a patient such as she 72 hours to remiss but any longer than that risks dehydration and electrolyte loss that should be addressed with supplemental fluids given in a hospital setting and also diagnostic testing. Conservative treatment at this time would consist of antacid administration (famotidine/Pepcid) at a dose of 0.1mg/lb every 12 hours and an anti-emetic such as you've mentioned. If you can tell me what product you have and the concentration of that drug I might be able to give you a dose for Savannah. (avoid PeptoBismol - it contains a salicylate - aspirin-like compound - that can irritate an already irritated GI tract)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a generic version of Emetrol, ingredients is Dextrose 1.87g, Levulose 1.87 g, Phosphoric acid 21.5mg per 5ml. She weighs 49-52lbs.
Thank you. Emetrol is a phosphorated carbohydrate solution. We're not sure how it works but it's certainly safe to give to a dog her size at half the adult human dose. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll get back to you in a few days to see how Savannah's doing.
How's Savannah doing?