Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas
49838867

can a dog having visual problems tke lutein to help?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

Dr Kara :

Hello, I am sorry to hear that Lucy is having vision problems.

Dr Kara :

Unfortunately supplements are unlikely to help a dog's vision that is eating a good quality food such as Nutro.

Customer:

It is not my dog and I am not sure how long this has been going on.

Dr Kara :

In dogs vision loss is usually due to cataracts, retinal degeneration problems or (less commonly) hypertension that leads to retinal bleeding and detachment.

Customer:

What can we do to help her sight ?

Dr Kara :

Glaucoma is another reason for loss of vision.
Helping her will really depend upon why she is losing her vision.

Customer:

Her eyes are dark brown and dont seem to have a pupil

Customer:

Her eyes are not cloudy at all. But she cant see anything thrown to her

Customer:

ene food

Dr Kara :

So then cataract are unlikely.
Unfortunately this breed is predisposed to a condition called progressive retinal atrophy.

Customer:

even food lands on her face, she never sees it coming

Dr Kara :

The eyes look normal when looking at the outside of the eye but an opthamalogist will be able to see changes in her retina (the back of the eye that senses light and sends signals back to the brain).

Customer:

she has begun to not identify me if I walk up to her too quckly

Customer:

she will become aggressive towars

Customer:

ds me. is ther anything to help this condition be delayed?

Dr Kara :

No, unfortunately this is a progressive disease that is not treatable. I'm so sorry.

Customer:

will it lead to blindness?

Dr Kara :

It starts out as difficulty at night and in low light and eventually leads to total blindness.

Customer:

My friend, her owner prefers it dark because she has a problem of reticulas in her eys

Customer:

she has begun to trust me when I tell her that the noise is okay.

Dr Kara :

Ah, poor pup doesn't have much help with that then.
If you are interested here is a reputable article written by the AKC, see this link : http://www.akcchf.org/canine-health/your-dogs-health/disease-information/progressive-retinal-atrophy.html

Customer:

she used to chase things but now not so much I don't think she can see where the sound ix

Customer:

s coming from

Dr Kara :

We can somewhat retrain the dog and ourselves by slowing down interactions and using our voices to make sure that they are aware of where we are and who we are before approaching.

Dr Kara :

I see that you are already doing this, good for you.

Customer:

I have been interpreting in sign language for more than thirty years, but have very little experience with blindness

Customer:

I have been giving her supplements like doggie calmer to help he calm down

Dr Kara :

Do be aware that there are websites out there purporting antioxidents as therapy.
There are no good studies that support this. I feel that they are taking advantage of people who are hoping to help.
With blindness using sound cues, stomping our feet, speaking whenever we move, really help.

Customer:

Now that I know what is going on with her, she can be helped

Dr Kara :

Right retraining everyone to take into account her disability.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your experience and help with Lucy. i will use my voice much more

Customer:

her owner wants her to live on a farm but not with this ifo. she might get lost.

Dr Kara :

Very welcome. I would love to give you some treatment options too. There is definitely lots of research on this as people have forms of this disease too. Hoepfully we will have therapy options some day.
No a farm is definitely not the place for an excitable blind dog.

Customer:

Any treatment plans will be much appreciated

Dr Kara :

I know I am anxiously awaiting any help, there are many dogs that would benefit for sure.

Customer:

oh I thought you had some

Dr Kara :

No, sorry for the misunderstanding. I wish I did as I would love to have them but at this point in the research we know why they go blind, we just don't know how to stop or delay the deterioration.
Nothing they have tried so far seems to work.

Dr Kara :

The latest research seems to focused on injecting anti-inflammatories in to the eye or germinal cells to try and regenerate retina cells.

Customer:

we are in a financial crisis that would not afford this radical treatment if I could even find it.

Dr Kara :

But no results on either research yet, they are trying different methods.
I suspect initially it will be incredibly expensive.

Dr Kara :

Right, I don't think most of us could.

Customer:

she could not take someone injecting into her eyes

Customer:

she would bite them.

Dr Kara :

She would have to be anesthetized for it. No matter how good a dog is that would not be a comfortable procedure, another expense.

Customer:

As this is sad news, it is still better to be pretty sure what is going on Thank you so much

Dr Kara :

Very welcome. Best of luck, I wish I had better news.

Customer:

Now I know why she prefers the light in my room, and why she barks at anything. She must be losing the outlines of things.

Dr Kara :

Yes, probably true.
I can only imagine how confused she must be.

Customer:

Poor girl. Her behavior is so much clearer to me now

Dr Kara :

It helps to put ourselves in their shoes doesn't it?

Customer:

My pets, especially dogs have always been much more than an animal to me. I can communicate with them. My last dog couldnot understand sign language, but I did not know how bight he was until I talked to him. the last seven years of his life were so much more than the first seven. my husband was deaf and so we signed at home

Dr Kara :

Your pets are lucky to have you.

Customer:

He was a puppy mill rescued by me and had hip displaysia. I kept him alive untill his pain was always in his eyes, then he went with his dignity intact.

Customer:

He was on many pain killers and did well until the age of 14. He was a beautiful full bred Gordon Setter.

Dr Kara :

Ah they are gorgeous dogs, and the ones I've seen are very smart. Not so overbred.

Customer:

I lost my job due to my disability and could not afford 200 dollars a month to keep him alive. But we had many grand adventures!

Dr Kara :

It sounds like you did your absolute best for him.

Customer:

My marriage sucked and he went with me everywhere my crappy hubby wouldn't.

Dr Kara :

; )

Customer:

Two weeks in Maine in a cabin and some time at the shore under an umbrella /. he watched the people as they exercised on the boadwalk. very sweet dog. Now I have a Yellow lab rescue and he is a person!

Customer:

I had to put a lab to sleep and I will never forget the trusted look in his eyes as he died.

Dr Kara :

They do love us and trust impicitly, that's why it is so hard for me to understand why people don't love pets.

Customer:

I will let you go now thank you for your help with Lucy. and for your support and patience while I ramble on!

Customer:

smile

Dr Kara :

No worries, it was nice chatting. Be patient with poor Lucy, she is going through a rough time.

Customer:

As we all are.

Dr Kara :

I know, but we can chat about and she can't.

Customer:

and now i can help her as well.

Dr Kara :

That is true, I hope she accepts your help.

Customer:

Oh she loves me and does not fear me but is an anxious dog nonetheless.

Dr Kara :

I understand.

Customer:

now so do I

Dr Kara :

Terrific, can I help any more today?

Customer:

No thans. your help is invaluable to me. Thansl my k is not working well

Dr Kara :

Love those computers. Glad to help.

Customer:

If you come to Central fla, send me an email. I feel a kindred spit in you smile

Customer:

kindred spirit

Dr Kara :

I'm pretty far from Florida, I'm in So California, so I'm unlikely to be in your area but I have a feeling we'd get along fine.

Customer:

me too. Thanks for your care taking in the animals in so CA. They are so lucky to have you .

Customer:

And so have I been. You will get the fee of 25 dollars, is that right?

Customer:

This is scary times to trust in giving my credit card info. Thank you so much for being here

Dr Kara :

I'm glad to be here, a nice way to pass the day chatting with nice people about their pets.
Thanks for your kind words.
Whatever you agreed to at the beginning ($26?) will be charged to you should you choose to accept my answer.

Customer:

Oh I accept. do I push the button?

Dr Kara :

Yes, if you see an accept button just click on it.

Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating dogs, cats, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, & iguanas